Friday, June 8, 2012

When Hubs and I Met

My friend's dad just asked, via facebook, if his daughter really got Hubs and me together.

It occurred to me I should write down our story... for posterity.

Or something.

So... 17 years ago I worked at a Tex-Mex restaurant. I did a little of everything: waited tables, hostessed, cashiered, tended bar. Pretty much everything but cooking and cleaning.

This particular night, I was hostessing. My friend, who happens to be an incorrigible flirt, was also working that night, waiting tables. A couple of guys came in, one of whom was pretty darn cute. That'd be Hubs. In case you didn't get that.

He was so cute, I really didn't want my friend waiting on them, and flirting with him all night.

So I sat him on the opposite side of the restaurant from her section, and went about my business.

Next time I looked up, can you guess what I saw??? My friend, at their table, flirting and laughing.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

So when I had a moment, I (oh-so-casually) asked her if she had taken their table from the waiter I had given them to.

She said no, she was just talking to an old friend.

She explained that the really cute one had been a friend of her family for years... and that her dad and his dad had been really close since they were in high school... and he was like a brother to her.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeally.

Hmmmmmm.

She's not dumb, and quickly picked up on the fact that I was more interested in him than in their family history... and went and told him I thought he was cute.

Hee hee. (I know this sounds like junior-high drama, but I promise it wasn't nearly this lame. And that we didn't pass each other notes.)

So he told her to give him my number. (Just how many pronouns can I cram into one sentence, you ask? Many.)

And she did.

And he called a few days later.

And left a very cocky message on my answering machine.

And for some unknown reason, even though his message annoyed me, I called him back.

But his roommate answered. His roommate sounded very sweet, and we talked for several minutes. (I don't know why, but at this exact moment, I can recall exactly how Hubs smelled in his uniform. There's not another smell like it in the world, and I absolutely love it. Sorry. I have no idea where that came from.)    His roommate gave Hubs the message that I returned his call... and he called back.

He asked me out to lunch... I went... had a great time... (even though my {future}brother-in-law crashed our lunch and ate half of Hubs' meal! We were deep in conversation when he slid into the booth next to Hubs, said, "Hi! I'm from the Mooch-A-Meal Foundation of America. I'm here to help you with that." And proceeded to eat Hubs' food. Hubs never introduced this guy {he's still really bad about that!}, so after he left I asked, "Who was that???") and the rest is history.

Our history.

Honey Bear, I love you so very much. You are the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me, and I thank God (and Melanie!) for bringing you into my life.

1 comment:

MaryAnne K said...

Great story! It's so fun to remember all the drama of first falling in love :)