Friday, February 10, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Just a tad early.

A friend of a friend has an elaborate, annual Valentine's party, and she invited me this year! Everyone votes on the best valentine, best valentine box, best-dressed guest, etc. This year, she added a new category: best hat.

So I came up with an idea, found a pattern online, bought my materials and got to work.





I found some really stiff interfacing that seemed perfect for this application.





This is the crown of the hat. I used spray-adhesive to glue my fabric to the interfacing, so I wouldn't have to worry about a seam sticking out when I sewed the other pieces on.





Here's my brim. I sewed the two pieces together, trimmed the seam, turned it right side out, then inserted my interfacing.





For the side band, I sewed curved seams to taper the sides just a bit.





I did the same thing to the interfacing.





The brim is all ready to go.





I turned the side band inside out and sewed it to the top of the crown, then attached the brim.





I tied a piece of lace ribbon around the hat as a hat band, and at this point it was pretty much done.

But I wasn't quite happy with it.





So I added a big pouf of white tulle at the back, and made a few fabric rosettes out of red, black and white prints.





My last addition was this fabric flower in the front. It has about 15 layers of ruffled fabric flower cut-outs stacked together, with a fabric rosette in the center.





You probably can't tell from the pictures, but it's a really small hat. It's sitting on a wine glass, if that helps. It's about six or seven inches tall. The original pattern was considerably bigger, but I really wanted a small, jaunty hat with some character and attitude.

I'm so happy with how it turned out. I can't wait to wear it to the party!

The party is tonight... so I feel there's no danger (to my chances of WINNING!) in posting the pictures.

I have much more to share. I have been super, insanely busy this week, working on valentines, clothes, and other valentiney stuff. Hopefully I'll get the pictures taken (and posted) soon.

1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

LOVE it!!! Especially the flower in the front - amazing!

Hope you win =)