I've been wanting to use my Cameo to make a vinyl sign for quite some time. I've made a few things for others as gifts, but nothing for myself yet. Today turned out to be my big day.
I'm a bad, bad blogger, and didn't take photos of the steps, but hopefully I can rectify that tomorrow.
I started with this:
Well, actually, that's not really how it looked when I started.
Let me back up a bit. I bought a cull board (I think it's a 1x6) at Home Depot for $1.01, and they cut it twice for me for free, giving me three sign-size boards for a dollar. Go me!
I spray-painted 3,826 coats (approximately) of Krylon gloss white onto my board, and let them all dry. All. Freaking. Day.
I lightly sanded the edges, then dabbed some Minwax stain (in Provencial) on the edges, and immediately wiped it off. Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't done that. Up close it just looks a little dirty. From farther away it looks great, so I'll just have to tell my guests to back the heck off if they're all up on it.
I used the "Circus" font, and cut the word "LOVE" out of hot pink vinyl. Applying the vinyl to the wood was probably my easiest project so far; weeding the vinyl? Not so much. That part will make you want to poke an ice pick through your eye socket. But don't do that. You'd have trouble finishing your project.
I also bought a 1 foot by 6 foot by 1 inch board from HD. I wasn't in love with the super-sharp edges, so I sanded them like crazy to round off all the edges and corners. I also sanded all the knots and ugly spots so I'd have a nice, smooth surface to work on.
I bought a sample-size jar of paint from Lowe's (Valspar; Hematite) and painted the entire board with three coats. The jars cost less than $3 each, and I had about a half jar left after painting the board.
I bought another sample-size jar of paint (Valspar; Elephant Gray) and stenciled the foreground using the "Iron Lattice" stencil from Hobby Lobby. I have just about a whole jar left.
This is what it looked like at this point:
I worked all day arranging the verse from 1 Corinthians 13. Changing fonts and sizes and playing with placement. I fed some white vinyl into the Cameo, and let'er'rip.
After applying the verse, I hung my "LOVE" plaque on my subway art using Command strips.
I do believe she could use some crown molding, so Hubs is going to cut some for me. I'll paint it the same dark gray as the background, and put it at the top and bottom. When I do, I'll update with a new picture.
I just love my subway art! I've been wanting a piece for a looooong time, but never thought I'd actually make it.
I put it in the hall to take a picture, and it looks so good with the spotlights on it, that I'm going to make another one tomorrow. The wall on the other side of the doorway needs one, too.
I plan to take step-by-step pictures of the process, and post the how-to as soon as I can.