Friday, January 6, 2012

Family Christmas #3

Our third, and final, Christmas celebration of 2011 was at our home. It began on Christmas Eve. We got the three yayhoos together for a rare shot... and ever rarer still? 


ALL THREE WERE LOOKING AT THE CAMERA AND SMILING. AT. THE SAME. TIME. I'm not sure that has ever happened before. So I wanted to record this holy grail of photographic achievement so I have proof in the future that it actually occurred.


We got them bathed and into comfy jammies, then my mom read the boys the Christmas classic, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." Christian said she'd "heard it before," and wasn't interested. Twerp.


But the boys really enjoyed it.


Ooooh! Big yawn, right at the end of the story. I think it's working! After she finished reading, we put them all to bed. Shortly after, we put out the gifts we had bought. I never put gifts under the tree until after the kids go to bed on Christmas Eve, for two reasons: 1. I have two little mischievous little boys who I believe would unwrap/smash/break/steal the gifts while I'm not looking, and 2. I think it makes Christmas morning even more magical to wake up and see tons of gifts under the tree that was naked when they went to bed the night before. 


While we were taking showers and getting ready for bed, Santa sneaked in, so I got a shot of the tree with all his stuff under it, too.


Christmas morning came waaaay too early. Especially for my mom, who wanted to sleep on the couch. The boys' room is right next to the Christmas tree, and she said they woke up around 2 am, and opened the door to look at all their stuff! She told them to go back to bed, and they did, but they were up every hour after that, giggling and opening the door.


Christian also got up, but she waited until 4am. Mom sent them all back to bed, but they kept coming back. Hubs and I had NO IDEA any of this was going on. We were dead to the world.


When they couldn't stand it any longer, Christian worked up the nerve to wake us up. I think it was around 7:30.


Our traditional Christmas morning breakfast is homemade cinnamon rolls (PUKE!!!). I make them every year, for us and about 38 other families. I LOATHE cinnamon rolls, but Hubs and the kids (and the 38 other families) go nuts for them, so whaddaryagonnado? Usually I make apple turnovers for myself, but I didn't have the extra energy, so I just drank hot chocolate this year.


ANYWAY.


We were mean and horrible and awful and made them sit in front of the tree and take pictures before we let them get after it.


With the smell of the buttery cinnamon rolls in the oven (I love the smell; hate the taste) and no gifts in their hands, I'm surprised I got this many.


We finally gave in and turned them loose.


They wanted to start with their stockings.


Those stockings were STUFFED. I was actually a little worried that all the gifts wouldn't fit in them, but we forced it. I mean, SANTA, forced it.


Then they went to town on all the packages under the tree.


Hubs wore the Christmas jammies I gave him last year, depicting his favorite Christmas movie ever.


Cullen would pull just enough paper off a gift to figure out what it was, then he was on to the next one. The kid doesn't waste time.


My mom will probably kill me for posting a picture of her in the morning, with no make-up, having SEVERELY interrupted sleep all night long. Poor thing. She flew in from Nashville, and got pink-eye on the plane. She drove the three hours from Houston in the middle of the night, not able to read any street or highway signs. It's a miracle she got here at all, much less safe and sound. I etched her initials on a glass trifle. I was really proud of it, but apparently didn't have the foresight to take a close-up of it.


Christian got lots of adorable clothes. And she wasn't exactly excited about it.


Cullen mostly got toys. Which he was quite happy with.


I also made my mom a set of silhouettes of the kids. Which I also neglected to photograph.

After the gifts and stockings were opened, we cleaned up the gigantic mess and got lunch on the table. It was a traditional Christmas dinner with roasted turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, corn casserole, and parker house rolls. Homemade pecan pie was dessert. It was delicious, if I do say so myself.

Right after that, Mom had to head back to Nashville, so we said good-bye. And immediately fell into a four-hour coma.

It was heavenly.

We had an amazing Christmas, from start to finish, and hope you did, too.





1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

That first photo of the three kids is GOLDEN!

Love Christian's pained smile in all the photos you made her take ;)