Monday, November 14, 2011

Stenciled Cake

I haven't posted many cake pictures lately... mainly because I haven't made any cakes lately. I've taken a bit of a break in cake-making, but I'm happy to report I'm back in the saddle again.

Which is not to say I won't take another break, if I so choose!

This cake was for a little girl turning two. Her mom wanted a sugar figure of her daughter, wearing a black t-shirt with a pink "2" on the front. She also wanted a rainbow pettiskirt on the girl.

The cake was to be two tiers covered in white fondant, with black damask, and pink accents... so here it is:


This was my first attempt at stenciling. I found a damask pattern I liked, cut it out, and stenciled black royal icing onto the white fondant.

It was by no means perfect, but I think it's a very pretty cake. Especially for a first try.

And I really love the bows. I think they make the cake look so sweet and girly.

Sometimes I have to put something in my sugar figures' hands, to cover a flaw in their fingers. This time, as I made her left hand, I thought, "Wow. I think that's my best hand ever." And then I made her right hand, and thought the same thing, so I put posed her with them spread on her skirt. My stepmom saw it, and the first thing she said was, "Wow! Her hands look really good!" So I figured it wasn't just me.

It was a really fun cake to do, but way more time-consuming than I counted on it being.

I had to wait for each stenciled section to dry completely before I could move on to the next section. It really added to the total decorating time.

But I think it was worth it this time!

2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

That is a darling cake. What a lucky two-year-old!

Kelsey said...

Gorgeous, as always!