Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Here! It's Here! It's Heeeeeeeeeeere!!!

Once we finalized our blueprints, and started talking contracts with our builder, we began looking at all the things that finish a home.

I have been spending mucho, mucho time online, looking at light fixtures and faucets and chandeliers, and kitchen sinks.

I want a farmhouse sink, one large enough to wash my largest cake pans, cookie sheets and canning pots with ease.

So Hubs and I started looking. I found an exceptionally "average" sink somewhere on the Net (don't remember where now) and was determined that it would be the one. Because it was cheaper than any other sink I had found. Which is Hub's love language. Not spending money. :)

But then he showed me this:



And I died. My search was over. Forget that run-of-the-mill, so-very-ordinary stainless-steel sink, even though it did have a rounded apron. This was The. One.

And then I saw the price.

And got sick.

But that could have been the baby in mah bellah, because she's been making me quite sick since before I even learned she was there.

I knew there was NO. WAY. Hubs was going to spend that much money on a kitchen sink. A sink, for goodness' sake. I was so disappointed, and, truth be told, annoyed that he had even showed me the thing in the first place. I knew no other sink could ever hope to measure up. I knew someday, I'd be washing dishes at my run-of-the-mill, so-very-ordinary stainless-steel sink, and think back to the sink that all sinks dream of being when they grow up.

And my heart broke, just a little.

Well, it broke a lot.

I saw the dream of that sink being in my very own kitchen go swirling down the drain. Pun intended.

The next day, Hubs told me to order it.

And then I checked his temperature.

And made him take some Tylenol anyway, cause the boy just HAD to be delirious.

And then I stopped looking a gift horse in the mouth and did the dance of joy.

In exactly two months, we'll be celebrating our 15 year anniversary, and this is his gift to me. Nevermind the annoying little fact that he keeps telling me my real gift from him is the gift of life.

Har. Har. Har.

The traditional 15 year gift is crystal; the modern gift is watches. I think he did waaaaaay better than either of those.

My beautiful, glorious sink arrived today!!!


And it's HUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!

And BEEEEEEE-YOOOOOOO-TEEEEEEE-FUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLL!!!


I'ts handmade, hammered copper, with a nickel-plated accent behind raised scrollwork.

So... it's our first new-home purchase!!!

And, yes, we actually did buy a kitchen sink before the foundation has been poured.

5 comments:

MaryAnne said...

That sink is amazing! What an awesome anniversary gift.

I'm glad we aren't the only couple that gives gifts months in advance =)

mzzterry said...

that is an absolutely amazing sink!! what a statement it will make. I am thrilled for you (and a bit jealous!) congrats....i look forward to following the building of your new house!!

Tracye said...

Thanks! I really love it! I just can't wait to see it in the finished kitchen.

Anonymous said...

i am really jealous.. glad you got the sink you wanted... aLL the time spent there in front of it will be a happy one. love mary

growingupmo said...

I LOVE your sink. Would it be weird to say that I want that sink in my kitchen and whereever did you get it?!!!!