Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Working on Plans

How do I blink, and a week goes by since my last post? I thought for sure it had only been a day or two.

We met with our builder last week. He showed us some houses he is almost finished with. I am quite impressed. He does BEAUTIFUL work. Not only that, but he ACTUALLY CALLS US BACK! We have met with a few builders recently who don't seem that hungry for our business. But this one has met with us twice (once during his daughter's track meet, which really spoke to me. I mean, he was in our town, and met with us between her events. It was important to him to see his daughter perform, and important to meet with new clients), returned our calls even when we didn't leave a message, answered all kinds of questions, offered good suggestions, drove us all over South Texas to show us houses, and offered the kids gum when I ran out.  :)  So we've pretty much decided to give him our business.

Hubs is taking the plans I drew up to an architect today, to see about having them made into blueprints. I'm starting to look at flooring and appliances and faucets and paint color and cabinetry and countertops... and feeling a little overwhelmed.

We built the house we just sold, and got to choose lots of things, but that builder wasn't so great about communicating with his clients. We would walk in and think, "OH! There's tile in the bathrooms. Huh. I didn't realize he was going to make a pattern. I guess it looks okay." And the next time we'd go look, there would be cabinets (all the way to the ceiling, which is how I told him I did NOT want them), and we'd say, "Wow. That's not really the color of stain I was wanting, but, okay."

Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty house. Every realtor that showed it had nothing but good things to say. Our realtor said it was the best-showing house on the market in our price range.

I'm just saying that I didn't get to pick out everything that went in there.

And right now I'm thinking that might have been a blessing!

But, since this house is being built on our own land, instead of on a lot in a neighborhood, I feel like it has to be just right. Not just okay. There aren't any do-overs with this one.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but I am feeling anxiety about making sure the cabinet color matches the paint and the paint matches the countertops and the countertops coordinate well with the flooring... Ugh.

Don't even get me started on bathroom layouts.

Well, I guess I just got me started on bathroom layouts. Again, not a big deal, but I want to make sure that this house fits our family, for the life of our family. I want all three kids to be able to (efficiently) get ready in the bathrooms, ten years from now, as well as today.

I want to make sure the kitchen is warm and welcoming, in addition to being efficient for regular family meals, large holiday parties, and baking huge custom cakes.

That's probably a pretty tall order, but that's what I'd like to see happen.

And that's where we are. Looking at TONS of pictures. Researching materials. Tweaking layouts.

Dreaming about our new house.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

How fun, but I can imagine how stressful that would be. I can't be handed a color chart, I need like 4 or 5 color schemes and then I choose from there or I would go bizerk. haha. I bet the house will be beautiful. I can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

you have great taste... it will be beautiful...do not forget my room...haha mary have fun doing this... stressful and all

Tracye said...

We do have a room for you! Two rooms, actually. They're called the kitchen and the laundry room.


I'M KIDDING!!!!!!!

MaryAnne said...

I don't know where I would even start building a dream house like this. It is a super exciting opportunity though - good luck!

kelsey said...

How fun!!! I know it is probably pretty overwhelming, but what a special opportunity to really make your home YOUR home. I can't wait to see it! Bring your floorplans with you Saturday so I can get a sneak peak. So excited that you're coming, btw!

Morgan Matula said...

Girl - I have no doubt your house is going to be GORGEOUS!!! Praying you are able to make decisions easily! :)

Anonymous said...

when are you going to blog again.. i miss all of you and need info...help mary