Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Well... Hello Again!

I didn't realize how long it's been since I visited my little corner of the net.

I'll try to condense as much as possible.

We're moving.

Whew! That was hard!

K, bye!





Oh, I kid.

Seriously though, we really are moving.

We put our home on the market in January, and within a week we had several families come see it, and a few repeaters. Seven days after we listed it, it sold. We signed the contract a few days later, since our realtor went out of town. About four hours after signing (and receiving a check from the buyer) the buyer backed out.

I completely get it. He was young (22) and single, and buying his first house. He just got nervous.

So we were back to showings.

Three days later, it sold again. So basically, we had our house sell twice in one week, and was on the market for two.

And I had the nerve to cry.

Like a little girl.

Because it's the only home my three kids have ever known. We've been here since I was pregnant with Christian. We planted the flowers and shrubs and trees. We painted the walls. We installed the faucets and light fixtures. We built the covered patio. We chose the colors and doors and tile and hardware and I could go on and on.

But I won't.

You're welcome.

Anyway.

So it sold waaaaaay faster than we anticipated. The average time a house is on the market here is tw0 months.

We started looking for rent houses in the area, only to find out there are none. I called all the real estate agencies in our town, and one agent actually laughed. "Ma'am, I have 20 people on a waiting list right now. There isn't anything to rent."

Great.

So I called all the places in the next county, only to be told the same thing.

By this time, I'm freaking out. We had found a rent house when the first buyer came along, but didn't take it, since he backed out a couple hours later. Then, when the next buyer came along, we called to get it, but it had been rented.

Gulp.

It was a teeny tiny little thing, and pretty run down, but it was something. And we were running out of time to find a place.

I wasn't sleeping at night, worrying about where we were going to live, and how small and run down it was going to be.

I was awake one night, worrying, and decided the only option was to move the kids into Hubs' parents' spare bedroom (all three of them in one room), and for us to live in my parents' camper next to the house. I was going to call my dad the next day.

Well.

Hubs called the next morning and said the sheriff from the next county had called him. Some friends of his had one of their houses on the market for six months, and it hadn't sold, so they wanted to rent it out.

Hubs said it was beautiful and big, and we would go see it that night.

I just knew there was a catch.

So we went, and honestly, I wasn't expecting much, which is probably why God decided to knock my socks off.

The house is HUGE. And GORGEOUS.

It's 150 years old, and they have completely restored it. It has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a sitting room/library, a formal dining room, a giant living room (the size of my current living room and dining room combined) a wrap-around porch on the front, and a screened-in porch on the back. They've put antique claw-foot tubs and vessel sinks in the bathrooms, and antique doors, knobs and chandeliers in all the rooms. The boys' bathroom has one of my favorite chandeliers in the entire house, as well as a beautifully ornate, carved gold-framed mirror. It's unreal.

The kitchen... oh, the kitchen. It's unbelievable. I'm actually planning to take our builder to this house, so he can build my new kitchen to look similar to this one.

We want our new house to look 150 years old, so it's really cool that we get to live in one that is so beautiful. We can figure out what we like about it and what we don't, so we can make our next house exactly what we want.

We are so unbelievably blessed.

It's one of those times when God really shows up and shows off. I know His Word tells us He is able to do infinitely more than we could ask or imagine, and this is definitely proof of that.

As if that's not enough, the new landlords are sooooo sweet. They're letting us move all our stuff in early. We officially close in one week (double. gulp.) but are almost moved in. We just have the big stuff left: beds, dressers, entertainment center. We have had so much help from loving friends and family. We'll finish this weekend, so I can clean our empty house next week.

I still get choked up. In fact, those last sentences hurt. It's hard, but knowing I get to live in such a big, beautiful house while my dream house is being built makes it easier.

To every thing there is a season.

5 comments:

MaryAnne said...

So you're building your new house? That's so exciting!!!

And I can't believe your house sold so quickly - it must have looked beautiful! I think a house that LOOKS like it's 150 years old but has all-new plumbing, etc would be ideal!

kelsey said...

Soooo happy for you guys!! I saw the pics on FB and WOW! It looks like a great space. What a blessing!

Lisa said...

Made me smile reading this. Thank you.

Courtney said...

Congrats on the selling. Hope you are as happy in your new home as we are in ours.

Tracye said...

MaryAnne, we're pretty excited! I'm biased, but I think our house looked pretty good. The realtors all said it was the best-showing house they've seen. We worked hard on it.

Thanks Kelsey!

Lisa!!! Where have you been? I'm glad to hear from you! Wait. What am I saying? I'm as bad as you about posting! Glad for a smile, though.

Thanks Courtney. We love it but can't wait for the new one to be built.