Monday, September 27, 2010

My Birfday

Last year was unbelievable. It would have been pretty hard to top, had I not married the best husband ever, like, fourteen or so years ago.


But I did, and he did. Topped last year, I mean.


Two days before my birfday, my friend, who just happens to live next door, took me to lunch at a Japanese grill and sushi bar. Two more friends met us there for lunch and a show.


It was so much fun and the food was un. believe. able.



He did lots of tricks, and made a volcano out of fire and an onion, and had a little plastic toy "pee" on the fire to put it out.

Ooooooooh. Fire!


He made the raw meat slither across the grill...

He made a Mickey Mouse out of the fried rice, and stuck his spatula behind its mouth so that it sang Happy Birthday to me.

He also made a heart out of the rice, and made it beat, too. It was cute.

He flipped his knives and threw eggs in the air, and broccoli in my mouth. I caught it. Go me.

Yum!

Double yum. I haven't been able to get this out of my mind. I went back on my actual birthday and had it again... and then again, two days after that!

Oooooooooooh, sooooooooooooooup! Yes, that's me. One of the rare pics of myself on Ye Olde Blog. I will never win any Miss Photogenic contests, so, enjoy it while you can.

Fascinating, I know.

My friend, who just happens to live next door, gave me a gift basket filled with all kinds of goodies. Jewelry, Jelly Belly Jelly Beans (which are the ONLY jelly beans I like!), cute little packs of candy, and a really cool "gourmet" bottle of water.

Can water be gourmet? I think, once the price of a bottle of water nears double digits, it can be classified as gourmet. Like the ones in the hotels? That you'd rather drink the water from the toilet before cracking open that puppy? Kind of like that.

Later that evening, Hubs and I went to a fayn-cee restaurant at the top floor of the tallest building in our town. The Girl Scouts were kicking off their year, and had appointed as their chairperson a really special lady running for District Attorney of our county. She wanted Hubs there, and so I crashed the party. Just kidding. I was invited, too.

Anyway, since a certain little girl in our house had just signed up for Girl Scouts the day before, and will be attending her very first meeting tomorrow after school, we were really excited to go.

Fast-forward to my actual birfday.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law brought their beautiful baby boy to town, and we, along with about 392 other people, went back to that Japanese grill and sushi bar, where we all stuffed ourselves silly and enjoyed another dang good show. And by "we," I do not mean Cullen. Cullen most definitely did not enjoy the show. Once the chef stoked that fire, Cullen. freaked. out.

Up until that point, he had been enjoying himself, and stuffing himself silly. Luckily, we had so many people with us that they gave us the back room with the really huge grills. We were the only party there, so we had the whole room (and lots of tables) all to ourselves.

I have discovered that my children love some Japanese food. Each one of them devoured an entire bowl of soup. Cullen ate mucho steamed rice; Christian ate all her fried rice; Cavan ate half of mine. Christian ate all her chicken; Cavan ate half my shrimp (they gave me about 15 GIGANTIC pieces); and Cullen wouldn't touch his chicken because by that point the fire of death had chased him from the grill. They also tolerated the veggies fairly well.

And now that I have updated you with their gastronomic choices, I'm sure you'll rest easy tonight.

I saw Hubs crack a few smiles, and he admitted to me that he liked the place enough to go back.

Wait.

Anyone else hearing a choir of angels?

2 comments:

kelsey said...

"Choir of angels." Haha!

I have lots of pictures from your actual birfday. I was meaning to put them on the blog, but then time slipped away and you know how that goes. I'll upload them to FB and tag you. There are some great ones of everybody - including Cullen's animated face and your hubby's not-so-animated face. And even one of your hubby secretly enjoying his steak! Shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

We had a great time!

Melanie said...

Very cool! Is that place in V-town? Sounds super fun!