Monday, August 23, 2010

No Longer A Blank Canvas

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything. Things have been crazy around here for the last month... but I wanted to (finally!) post the finished cake.

Here's the before... actually, just after I covered them with white fondant.



And here's the finished cake, along with the diaper cake I also made.


Everything is completely edible, and made by hand.

For every toy I placed on the diaper cake, I made an edible one to match.

I cut out thousands of polka dots (three colors; three sizes) to match the ribbon around the diapers.


I made labels for the toy phones. My friend's nickname (Nonni) and phone number is on the non-edible one; the other set of grandparents info is on the edible one. I made them both to match with the same fonts.

I made a mold of the binky my friend wanted on the diaper cake, then made an edible one to match it.


This sugar "shampoo" bottle was one of my favorite pieces on the cake. Until I attached it to the cake, you could see right through it, just like the real thing.

This was another of my favorite pieces. I just love how the little monkey rattle turned out. The bananas, pineapples and leaves looked just like the plastic ones.

Eh. This was okay. It's obvious what it's supposed to be, but I wasn't crazy about it. I made a better powder bottle a couple years ago.


I'm also very pleased with this toy. It looked just like the real one. And when I was taking pictures, I picked up the little blue link in the corner, thinking I had put the plastic one on the cake board by mistake! I made it so realistic that I actually fooled myself!


One of my friends requested this cake. She threw a baby shower for her daughter-in-law, and asked me to make a diaper cake, with lots of toys, and an edible one to match it.
It was such a fun cake to do!
And HUUUUUUUUUUUGE!
Thankfully (and surprisingly!) nothing broke or fell off in transit.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

WOW! That is amazing! You are truly and artist. How long did it take to make?

Anonymous said...

That was totally amazing, as usual! You always and I mean ALWAYS do a wonderful job!!!

Tracye said...

Thanks, Crystal. I worked on it for a couple weeks. All those little toys and diapers and dots and the phone... a loooooooooooong time!

Thanks, Anonymous.

Morgan Matula said...

WOW!!! AMAZING!! I <3 making cakes - but can't do anything like this!! WOW!!!