Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Graduation Cake

This cake.

Oh... where to begin?

It was for the daughter of a friend. She told me her daughter loves MAC make-up, so this is what I came up with.

It was to be delivered on Thursday.

Monday I baked, stacked, filled and carved the cake into the shape of the cap. I wrapped it in about six layers of plastic wrap and put it in the cold oven for safekeeping so the cake layers and filling could settle before they were iced and covered with fondant. I had a small plate of cake scraps leftover for the family to snack on.

I was folding clothes in my bedroom Monday evening when Christian came in to tell me there was a big mess in the living room.

I walked in to find cake all over both couches and the floor. No problem. I'd just get the broom and sweep up the crumbs.

As I turned the corner in the kitchen I saw it: my ready-to-be iced cake unwrapped on the counter, and destroyed.

For a minute I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Then I realized that Cullen had not gotten the plate of scraps to snack on; he had gone for the big kahuna: my friend's cake. He had gouged a hole the size of a grapefruit into the cake.

Immediately I began baking a new cake. It was hard to see though, through the red haze.

I got all three layers into the oven and baked. While they baked I got the filling and a batch of buttercream ready.

Right after I got the cakes out to cool, my neighbor knocked on my door, asking if I would be walking with her that evening, as was our ritual.

Since I had done all I could do (and needed to work off some anger!) I went.

I got home and turned the cakes out onto a cooling rack. All three layers stuck to their pans.

So immediately I began baking a new cake. It was even harder to see though, through the redder haze.

I got all three layers into the oven and baked.

I let them cool a bit, then turned the cakes out onto a cooling rack. All three layers stuck to their pans.

So immediately I began baking a new cake. It was considerably harder to see though, through the even redder haze.

I got all three layers into the oven and baked.

I let them cool a bit, then turned the cakes out onto a cooling rack. FINALLY all three cakes released beautifully.

If you're counting, that makes FOUR baking sessions for this one cake.

It was now after midnight, and I knew I would be pressed for time.

Somehow I finished on time, and they loved the cake.

I made a diploma on my computer and printed it out onto edible paper with edible ink. Par for the course with this cake, it settled overnight and tore a bit. The yellow underneath is sponge that I used to help it stay put until it firmed up. Everything is edible, including the mortarboard and make-up.




And my neighbors enjoyed some fresh cake with pineapple filling that night.
Cullen's okay, too.
In case you were wondering.

3 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Oh my. This is why I never try to make anything for anyone. I'm very impressed that you persevered, and the final product is fabulous!

Crystal said...

I am always so impressed with your cakes, they are beautiful! I've had problems with cakes sticking too, so now I just go ahead and line the pans with parchment paper, it really helps.

Linda said...

you never cease to amaze me!