Tuesday, March 2, 2010

So Here's My Sugar Piece for the Cake Show...

I titled it, "The Proposal." It was a huge tree with a couple sharing a picnic under its branches.

The man is on one knee, proposing to his lady love.

There are two lovebirds in the tree (smaller than m&ms) and a nest with some eggs (about the size of boogers; sorry, but that's my comparison).

The man has carved their initials in a heart on the tree.
A pair of squirrels (about the size of jellybeans) look on from the roots of the tree.
She's shocked; she thought they were just going on a picnic.

"Will you marry me?" The diamond ring sparkles in the light from its place in the box. A pair of bunnies hide under the bushes.

A feast is spread out before them: fried chicken, buttery mashed potatoes, peas, corn on the cob, rolls, strawberries, and grapes. It's all served on gold-rimmed china. They have lemonade to drink and cake for dessert. He brought along a bottle of champagne, anticipating a positive answer.

A couple of raccoons wait to see if the people will share their picnic.

The ants just help themselves.
The tree and log are chocolate; everything else is icing, fondant, or gumpaste. It's all edible, of course.

FIRST PLACE, BABY!!! Two years in a row! I didn't win best of division in addition to first place, like I did last year. I moved up from the beginner to the intermediate division. I'm pretty proud that I still placed first, even having to move up a level.
Cavan had a really hard night the night before this. He was coughing and feverish and really congested. He actually slept through the awards ceremony, and through me accepting my medal.

Thanks, Kyla! We think he's pretty cute, too!


This is the third year we've gone to the cake show in Austin, and it just gets better and better.
Kyla, you and your army of volunteers rocked it this year!!!

I can't wait to play with all the stuff I bought... and start on next year's project. Hopefully I'll give myself more than a week to do it next year!

6 comments:

kelsey said...

Wow. A-MA-ZING! I can't believe it only took you a week. Congrats on winning!

Crystal said...

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations! That cake is unbelievable! You are so great at the fondant sculpting, I wish I was half as good as you are!

Anonymous said...

it was really a sight to see. beautiful....i do not know how you do it with your full house...glad you had fun and won...as we knew you would...love mil and papaw-had a great time with the other kids.

Tracye said...

Thanks!

Melanie said...

you go girl! That thing is freaking awesome--way better than your competition. So, is that how R proposed to you?????
Super cute!

MaryAnne said...

Congratulations!!! It's easy to see why you won, I love all the details. I think the thieving ants were my favorite =)