Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Children Were Nestled All Snug in Their Beds...

While their mommy raced around like a lunatic, making valentines, cakes and cookies.


Christian's class party is Friday, and she's supposed to bring something to contribute. I asked her what she wanted to bring and she said cookies.


Of course she said cookies.



I don't do cookies.


Well, I do do cookies, but not pretty decorated sugar cookies. And, let's face it, that's what kids expect at a valentine's party.


So this week, I've made two batches of sugar cookie dough and six mini valentine cakes for various teachers, and random other people (lest I spoil the surprise by saying who). And valentines. Lots of valentines.


Cullen has patiently quietly excitedly watched all these preparations this week, and asked if he could hand out "Balentimes," too. So I made Cullen some "Balentimes." Then he asked if he could have a "Balentimes" party, so I made him some "Balentimes" cookies and a mini cake for his "Balentimes" party.


It's (as I write this) just a few hours away. When he wakes up I'll feed him breakfast and get him dressed and take him to Granny's house, where he goes every Thursday. He and his cousin Jakob will have a little "Balentimes" party of their own.


Believe it or not, but I think I'm probably more excited than he is. And he's pretty darn excited. It's just that it's his first little party, and his first go at handing out valentines, and I've worked so danged hard on all this stuff this week. The valentines are pretty dadgum cute, if I do say so myself. Which adds to my excitement. I can't wait for the recipients to see how adorable they turned out.


My neighbor came over tonight and kept me company while I worked for a bit, though I did way more talking than working. I showed her their valentines, and we just couldn't get over the cuteness of these things! She was pretty impressed.


I would show a picture ('cause I took about a thousand) but it would spoil the surprise of the people reading this blog who will be receiving these cute little things.


I'll post pictures of them, and the cakes, in a few days.


I only have Cullen's party cake complete right now. I'm kind of excited to see the others lined up, all complete and ready to be devoured. I think it will look like Saint Valentine puked all over my kitchen. But in a good way.


So, in the absence of incomparably cute "Balentimes," I'll leave you with Cullen's "Balentimes" cookies. Which were decorated after hours upon hours upon hours of me standing in the kitchen, up to my elbows in sugar.





Fear my mad sugar cookie decorating skillz.

Yo.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

WOW! Those look great! Mom never baked, we store bought! I'm very partial to the ones at HEB. I love that they come for every holiday! Only problem is, we don't have HEB and when my mom attempts to ship them, they end up in pieces. So I should probably learn to bake and make my own. FAT CHANCE!

kelsey said...

Great job on the cookies! Can't wait to see pics of the rest. Nothing more exciting than sugary treats and crafts! And now it's barely after 8am and I am craving cake...

Anonymous said...

they are wonderful...kelsey told rick he took after me when it comes to decorating the sugar cookies...i just spread the icing on them in a messy way...my way always...hope cullen has fun..chubs wants one too..love mil

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Those cookies look great! Can't wait to see photos of the real masterpieces =)