Friday, December 4, 2009

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful...

BUT IT'S SNOWING!!!
Or, more accurately, it was snowing. I don't know what time it started, but when I woke up (at 9:00), there were several missed calls on the caller ID from excited south Texans, wanting to rejoice together over the falling snow. The temperature was around 34 degrees, so it wasn't sticking.

Not here, anyway. The news was showing an itty-bitty town just 20 miles from here, and the ground was white! I was ready to grab the kids and drive over, if it weren't for the numerous (probably frozen) highway overpasses between us and the accumulating snow.

I fed the boys and then picked Christian up from school for the day... along with many, many other excited parents. Our reason listed on the school's register? "Snow!!!" of course!

I bundled up the kids, all three of them, and we headed out into the front yard to dance and play in the falling flakes.


Don't worry about Chubs being warm enough; he's got plenty of natural insulation. ;) Seriously though, his little outfit is double-layered fleece, and his blanket is double-layered organic cotton. Both kept him quite warm. I kept bouncing him and saying, "It's snowing, baby Cavan!" and he'd just grin that toothless little grin at me. Once his face turned red, I took him inside and put him down for a nap.

Cullen had on three shirts, a hooded sweatshirt, a raincoat, a wool headband over his ears, two pairs of socks, and sweatpants under windpants. Oh, yeah, and mittens.
Once the cold seeped through his clothes, he was done. I took them inside, gave him a warm bath, gave them both hot chocolate, and we ate popcorn while we watched, "Snow Buddies." MIL had come over with lunch and the much-sought-after movie.
She took a few snowballs in the back for her efforts.

From Christian! I wouldn't do that!
(I had to wield the camera and didn't have a free hand.)



Some friends stopped by with their matching Christmas tree hats, in the hopes of getting a good family picture for their Christmas card... I think it turned out pretty cute!

That's about as much accumulation as we got. Then the snow turned to sleet, the temperature rose a little, and our late-fall miracle melted away.

It's supposed to drop into the upper 20's tonight, but I don't think any more snow is coming. Which is quite a letdown. Although we were so happy to get what we got.
Except emergency responders. Hubs had to chase some illegals through a cornfield. He came home at lunch to change out of his soaked, muddy clothes, and drink a little hot chocolate before heading back to the office. He said it was snowing much more in town than it was out at our house. He said people were going crazy, and leaving wrecked vehicles in the middle of the roadways.
Hope you're staying warm and dry wherever you are!
And that we get inundated with more snow!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

They all look so cute bundled up, too bad it didn't stick.
We got almost 5 inches at our house, a little more over the mountain. We don't get snow that often, but when we do, it's usually enough to shut most things down around here.
Hope everyone is staying warm!

Tracye said...

ARGHHHHH!!!

Tracy, why didn't you write, "Where's my check, you bum???"

I'M SO SORRY! I'm sending it tomorrow!

P.S. And I'm so jealous of your snow.