Friday, October 16, 2009

T-Rex Cake

Remember this cake?

Well... the same nurse who ordered that cake asked me to make a T-Rex cake for her son's fourth birthday. She wanted a 3-D T-Rex. I told her I couldn't do it. So then she asked if I could do a 3-D T-Rex head, since her son really loves them, and loves the scary teeth. I said probably not. I really had no idea what to do or where to begin.

So I told her I would do a prehistoric landscape cake, and model a sugar figure of a T-Rex. She said that was fine, and that as long as there was a T-Rex on it, her son would be happy.

Here it is.
Obviously it's not a landscape. Do you think she'll notice?

The head was a 9x13 pan of rice krispy treats. I cut it down and went after it with a knife. The body is cake, and the arms are solid chocolate.
This is my first cake entirely decorated with my airbrush, and it was such a blast! I think this is the tallest cake I've ever done. It's right at sixteen inches.

I put six layers of different colors, some mixed together, to get him to look this way. Then I hand-painted his eyes and his claws. The claws just looked too clean!


Gimme a kiss!


3 comments:

HolyMama! said...

I bet that boy LOVED it!

Melanie said...

That is so adorable. Awesome job as usual!

Lisa said...

Girl, you ROCK! That is awesome.