Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Sweetest Little Girl in the Whole Wide World


Monday was a teacher inservice day, so the kids got a day off. I was doing laundry when Christian brought up (again!) her allowance... or lack thereof.

Hubs and I don't believe in just handing out money. If the kids want money, we believe they should earn it. There is a prevailing entitlement issue in this country today, and we'd like to do our part in breaking it.

She asked if she could mop the floor for an allowance. "Mop," meaning to wet-swiffer it after I sweep.

I told her that Hubs and I would discuss it. I mentioned that there are some things she would be expected to do, as a contributing member of this family, regardless of an allowance.

She clarified, "You mean like cleaning my room? And putting my dishes in the sink?"

"That's right," I said.

As she was mopping, she began to grumble, "I don't like cleaning my room."

I responded (as I was conquering the mountain of clean laundry) that I didn't like folding clothes, or washing them, or ironing them, or putting them away, or wiping counters, or doing dishes, or changing diapers, or putting away clutter, but that I was expected to do those things... without compensation.

She kind of giggled at that. "Mom, you're a grown-up. Grown-ups don't get paid for that stuff."

I said, "That's right. We don't. We have to do lots of things we don't like to do, and we don't get paid for it. We do it because it has to be done."

She thought for a minute, and put the swiffer down and walked over to me.

She pulled change out of her pocket; change that she had found earlier, and asked if she could keep. She counted it out; it came to fourteen cents.

She took my hand, and put the change in my palm.

"I know it's not much, Mom, but I want you to have it."

Tears filled my eyes.

Tears, for this sweetest of girls.

I hugged her tightly, and told her how much I love her, how thankful I am for her, and what a sweet, thoughtful person she is.

Today, that money found its way back to her piggy bank.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

that's really sweet! We don't have piggy banks unfortunately, we're too cheap to buy one. Instead, Brian cut a hole in the lid of top of a half gallon milk jug. We're as redneck as they come! I don't do laundry or dishes unless I get paid!! I'm sticking to that ;)

maryanne said...

Oh, that is very sweet!

sarahe said...

that is absolutely precious!

Melanie said...

That is so awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

come on now... you are really blinded by the sweetnesss. she is a great child and i love her, but she is kin to papaw... the con flows fast in this family. they learn early to get to your heart strings. i am so glad she has such a loving mother... grandma is not fooled...she does really love you...sometimes grandma if the other ones have not sent any gifts lately...have a great day and wait for cullen to act sweet and please be fooled again..cavan is just waiting to get you... he already has an advantage...baby. love ya mil