Saturday, October 24, 2009

Kobe Bryant/Lakers Cake

Today I delivered a cake to a church reception hall. It was a groom's cake, and is the very first wedding cake I have agreed to do.

I'm not sure if I'll agree to do another!

I get sooooooo freaked out, and stress so much over whether or not they'll like it, and I worry that some cake-related tragedy will occur on or immediately before the Big Day. It makes me want to crawl under the table and suck my thumb. But since I already have three thumb-suckers, I usually don't do that.
On the way to the hall, my palms started to sweat, and my heart was skipping beats. Hubs was yammering on and on about something, but I couldn't think of anything except that newborn baby riding in the back with no seat belt, its little soft spots vulnerable to bumps. The newborn baby that was my cake, that is.

The bride, if you remember, is the nurse who assisted my doc in the OR the day I had my surgery. Which is not embarrassing or uncomfortable at all, given the fact that she's seen my nether regions. Or not.

She told me that her groom loves the Lakers, Kobe Bryant in particular, and asked if I could do something paying homage to his favorite team. She wanted a fun, non-traditional cake. She e-mailed me a few pictures of his loves: his bride, of course, his dog, his new truck, and his DC hat. So this is what I came up with:
Kobe Bryant was sweet enough to autograph a basketball and jersey for me.
He also quite graciously gave me two courtside tickets for Tuesday night's game against the Clippers. At $1200 each, I'd say that's a pretty nice addition to the cake, eh? You can see today's date on the ticket. Pretty sweet that he ordered them on the day of their wedding, huh?

Or maybe I just made a couple of tickets on the computer and printed them with edible ink on edible paper. Maybe I just made and signed the basketball and jersey myself, too.

Anyway, here's the groom's hat and beverage of choice done in sugar. The bottle is poured sugar (my first attempt at sugar work) and the label is an edible image.

And what sporting event is complete without buttery popcorn? Hubs saw some of this drying on the counter one morning, and wasn't sure if it was real or not. He said he was confused because he didn't smell popcorn, but it looked so real he had to ask. FYI, it doesn't taste like popcorn. Just to the left of the popcorn is a picture of the groom's dog on a keychain, with a key to his new Ford truck. All edible, of course.

This cake was GIGANTIC. It was two (three layers each) fourteen inch squares, stacked one on top of the other. Which means there are six fourteen inch layers behind that fondant. They're rich chocolate cake, filled and iced with chocolate ganache. I swear I've gained weight from just breathing the wicked chocolate overload aroma in my house this week.

The mother-of-the-bride came to look at the cake before I left.

Y'all.

She cried.

Which made me cry.

But oh, so happy!

7 comments:

sarahe said...

wow--that's amazing!!

Melanie said...

That cake is the bomb. The tickets, the key chain, all the details--simply amazing. You are amazing! Get your own Cake show already!

Anonymous said...

it is amazing to me how you can do all of this (i know the hours it takes for you to do this) and take care of my granchildren (3) and my son....and it all tastes wonderful...congrats...on doing so well. take a break.. mil

maryanne said...

Stunning cake, I can't get over alle the minute details you manage to work into your creations!

Together We Save said...

Wow - amazing & so life like!! You really have talent!!

Tracye said...

Thanks, everyone!

I think this if my favorite kind of cake to make. I like all those little details.

Linda said...

all i can say is WOOOOOW!