Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Meme

I think I did this last year, but since I've added another baby to the mix, I've updated it.

How long were your labors?
Kid #1: 14 hours
Kid #2: 6 hours
Kid #3: 6 hours (ish)

How did you know you were in labor?
Kid #1: water broke
Kid #2: mind-numbing contractions that came out of nowhere and sent me to my knees.
Kid #3, water broke

Since we're on the subject, it always annoys me when on TV or in movies the mom's water breaks, and you don't see or hear anything. With both of mine, it was like Niagara Falls.

Where did you deliver?
All of them were born at a hospital. I hate hospitals, so with #3 I briefly considered home birth, but then came to my senses when I realized the anesthesiologist would not come to my home to give me an epidural. Considering that one weighed 10 pounds at birth, I think I made the right choice.

Drugs?
Oh, Sweet Wonderful Jesus, yes. When I was about four months pregnant with #1, my doctor began a conversation this way: “I don’t know what kind of birth experience you’re planning--"

I then interrupted with: “Drugs. Lots and lots and lots of drugs.”

He chuckled and asked if he should alert the pharmacy now.

I told him it might be a good idea to begin stocking up.

Weight/Length?
Kid #1: 9 pounds, 4 ounces, 21 inches
Kid #2: 8 pounds, 10 ounces, 20 1/2 inches
Kid #3: 10 pounds, .02 ounces, 21 inches

After switching to my new (current) OB, I remember telling him (while pregnant with #2) that I was worried about needing a C-section. He looked at #1's stats and said he didn't think there would be a problem.

C-section?
Not with any of them. Please see the birth weight of number three again. And then send me flowers. Or something from Tiffany's.

Who delivered?
With #1, my water broke at 5:00 am. I showered and put on a little make-up, and we got to the hospital around 6. My doctor had just finished a 24 hour shift. Baby Christian was helped into the world with the on-call doctor. Who later, I’m told, stopped delivering babies because his eyesight deteriorated. I hope it wasn’t something I did. Seriously, that's not good for my morale, people.

In the middle of pregnancy #2, my doctor announced (actually, his nurse announced) that he was no longer delivering babies. Well. I had to find a new one, quickly. We went to several (and asked every mother we knew about her experiences with her doc) before deciding on the most awesome OB ever. He delivered #2 and #3. #3 was helped out with the vacuum. I'll say it again: TEN POUNDS.

Happy Labor Day!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Maybe the 1st doctor should get LASIK eye surgery to fix that eye sight that you messed up for him. haha.

Here's my Labor Day:
Due Date--Nov. 21st
Induced on Nov. 21st--gave me the meds at about 6:30am.(I didn't want to go into labor on Turkey Day nor did I want her birthday to ever be on Turkey Day)
Ten born at 8:06pm. 8lb 4oz and 19 3/4" long--had to use forceps.
Epidural--OH HELL YES!

Anonymous said...

too, too long ago but still fresh in my mind...never goes away. people will tell you you forget in time... it must have been a man who said it. glad you survived all three....hope your sil in houston does not read this. her first is due soon....remember drugs are a great thing...kids are well worth it, unless they are teenagers.....love to all mil

Best S.I.L. said...

Girl, how the heck do you remember all the baby stats? I lost count after baby #2!! You are a gem!! Love to all...XOXOX