Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby Shower Gift Box Cake

This is a cake for a non-traditional baby shower. The theme of the party is sports, and everything is primary colors, with lots of blue and red.

It's for an OB/GYN in my OB/GYN's office; she's having twin boys and her nurse ordered the cake.

These were her (the nurse's) requests:

one tier
square
primary colors
basketballs, baseballs, soccer balls, footballs
model the babies
dad likes golf; mom likes girly stuff; represent both of them
put the boys' names on it

She wasn't demanding at all, and I don't mean that sarcastically (I know; I'm surprised I'm capable of it, too). I asked her lots of questions before designing this cake, and all those requests came out during the Q&A.

So here it is:


Sorry about the outlets in the background. This cake is too big/heavy/delicate to move much. I didn't want to finagle a pretty background and risk breaking something. Every flat surface in my kitchen has been filled with drying sugar for the last three weeks...

So I'm glad to finally have some counter space again!

That little white thing next to the soccer ball is a golf tee. I actually made two, but one fell down inside one of the corners of the cake.

The tees and the life-size golf balls are the only molds I used. See? There's a golf ball between the babies. And another hiding in the yellow "tissue paper." The baby on the left is holding a giant (to him!) golf ball, and the baby on the right is hugging a football.

Everything else is completely modeled/painted by hand.

I was really nervous about this baseball... and the soccer ball. I wanted them to look just right, and it was really easy to make them look... frumpy, I guess.

I am really impressed with how smooth the sides of the box came out. I wasn't expecting to get them that smooth.

Hubs bought me the classic silver link necklace and bracelet from Tiffany's several years ago. Like the idiot I am, I decided to make one. But forgot to add black, so I ended up having to hand-paint each. stinking. link. I just realized that I didn't get a picture of the end of the lipstick cap; not that it matters. I painted the Chanel logo (the lipstick looks like theirs) in gold on the top. I really should have put a "label" in the soles of the shoes... but I just didn't feel like it.

The shoes were a bit of a pain, too. I couldn't get the heels to match each other exactly, or get the slope of the heels to match the slope of the soles. It took quite a bit of time, frustration, and one or two naughty words before I got them right. Assuming they are "right." I've been working on this cake for about three weeks. I've been up until 3 am the past two nights, and midnight or one am for the last three weeks. It took a lot of time.

They seemed to think it was worth it. :)

10 comments:

James ~n~ Amber said...

This is great ! You did awesome ! Your babies faces look great. I'm actually working on a baby shower cake for a shower Saturday morning. Its a pink and brown John Deere theme.

Mzzterry said...

that cake totally ROCKS!! you keep getting better & better! way to go!!

Huse Yo Mama said...

Love it, love it, love it!! It's so cool to watch your progression on here. You keep getting better at your art!

Lisa said...

Wow! That is fantastic! Your balls look perfect...not frumpy at all! Are they fondant? And how did you do your box top and sides? I still haven't figured out how to make a really good box top.

I don't know how you do all you do.

Anonymous said...

you always amaze me with your newest cakes. i knew you could do it, but the time and effort is amazing and still have 3 kids and a husband....and a mil....you really outdid yourself on this cake. i hope they appreciate all it took to do it... cuddo's 10x to you...you deserve a prize....

Tracye said...

:)

What nice thoughts to wake up to!

Thank you all so much. I was so nervous about delivering this one, I actually was feeling queasy.

MaryAnne said...

Stunning cake, with so many wonderful details!

Melanie said...

Get your own cake show already!!!

Dee said...

I knew about your cakes and that you were great-I thought you had been doing this for forever! I am completely impressed!

Tracye said...

Thanks!

Dee-don't be... anybody can do it.