Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You Wanna See the UGLIEST. CAKE. EVER?

It's a face only a mother could love. Unfortunately, this mother DOES NOT.

He's been on a shelf, wrapped in 382 layers of Glad press-n-seal wrap, since last September. I made him the week before Hurricane Ike hit Galveston. I went to a class to make him, and the instructor came here from England to teach.
I remember asking her what she would do if the hurricane headed for Houston, since at that time it was pretty far out in the Gulf.
She looked a little nervous, but said, "Do you think it might?"
Turns out, it did hit Galveston while she was still here. She said she watched through her hotel window, and saw it coming up I-45. The hotel ended up losing power and water, and basically kicked all the guests out. One of the organizers of the classes let her sleep on the floor of their camper, and ended up driving her to Dallas so she could catch a return flight to England. She was scheduled to teach in Germany just days after Ike hit, and really needed to get home.
Anyway, I got this grotesque thing down the other day, took his picture, then dumped him in the trash. His tongue was actually pink when I made him. It's faded to almost white. I don't know why, but his head has a bump that wasn't there last year.

Poor, ugly little dog. I named him Cujo.
I'll post a picture of my latest cake soon. Just to restore faith to both of my readers that they don't all look this ugly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it is wonderful... it really shows talent. it looks real...have fun baking. mil

Melanie said...

hahaha--Cujo is pretty scary looking but it's still WAY better than I could even think about doing. :)