Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Sweet Girl

On the way home from my in-laws' house last night, Christian started asking question after question, just like she always does:

"How does the earth rotate?"

"How does the moon shine?"

"Why do rainbows appear?"

"Why do the planets go around the sun?"

"Why does it rain?"

"How does lightning strike?"

"What makes thunder?"

They're mostly scientific questions, but last night they shifted to God. She asked a bunch of questions, then asked how people get to Heaven. It was THE question I'd been waiting for.

I told her that the Bible says there is one way to get to Heaven: you have to believe Jesus is God's Son and that He died on the cross at Calvary and then rose from the dead, and ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and come into your heart.

She said, "Okay, but I'm not going to do it out loud."

So we listened to the radio (the Christian radio station that even Cullen demands be turned on when we get in the car! It really stinks when we drive out of town and out of range, because they both get soooooo annoying asking to listen to it!) for a few minutes.

After a little while Christian said, "Momma? I did it. I asked Jesus to forgive me of all my sins. Then I asked him to come into my heart. And then I heart a still, small voice (that really got me!) say, 'Yes ma'am. I'll do it right away.' So did He forgive me?"

With tears in my eyes I began telling her about how God forgives, but only if you ask Him to. And that once you ask, He erases it, like it never happened. In fact, He throws your sins as far away from Him as the East is from the West.

Then I told her that now that Jesus lives in her heart, she'll be able to understand things that people who don't have Jesus in their hearts will never be able to understand.

And she told me, "Yeah. And now I have to start learning more and more about Him. Because I know Him."

I am so proud of that girl.

P.S. In Matthew, when Jesus says:
Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!

The word "know" or "knew," means to have an intimate relationship with, like a husband has with his wife. You can't just go to church and expect to show up in Heaven when you die. Not that church membership is a prerequisite for getting to Heaven. It's not. You have to have a deep and meaningful relationship with God.

I've always found that very interesting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

christian is a wonderful little girl. she always has had a lot of faith...we are very proud of her.. love mil.. don't worry cullen will too

Crystal said...

That was the best thing I have read in a really long time!

James ~n~ Amber said...

Oh my ! I just read this and it gave me goose bumps and I have tears in my eyes ! Congratulations to you and to your daughter ! SUCH an awesome feeling ! My daughter shocked me last summer at bath time and asked to received Christ. I'll never forget that moment. How proud I know you are of her. Kids are awesome and I really think they just "get it". As asults, we over analyze too many things instead of just having faith and believing in something. Child-like faith is exactly what the Bible talks about, and when you have a conversation with a young child about something that is so "grown up", then I think it's easy for us to get it too. I know I'm rambling on, but how exciting ! Congratulations again !

Tracye said...

Thanks! I'm still in awe of it, especially that she heard His voice. Still makes me teary-eyed!

kelsey said...

what a GREAT story!!! I know you must be so proud and just incredibly thankful to have such a tenderhearted little girl who will now know what it's like to walk with God.

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

That's a beautiful story and Christian just sounds like such a wise, sweet young lady! May you be blessed in your efforts to disciple her and help her to grow in her faith!