Monday, July 20, 2009

Alligator Cake

This was for my cousin's son's birthday. Obviously, it was an alligator-themed party. I wasn't crazy with how this cake turned out. It just didn't live up to what I pictured in my mind. I don't like the color green I used for the grass, or the overall green. I painted grass on the cake, then applied cut-out (kind of 3-D) grass over that, textured it, and painted on top of that, too. Clear as mud, I'm sure. Basically, I spent way too much time on the grass.


This glittery "Happy Birthday Jakob" banner isn't how I wanted it, either, but it got the point across. It was my first time using this edible glitter, and I thought it was going to be more transparent. It wasn't, so I had to brush away all the glitter from the letters. It ended up looking cluttered.

The lake/pond looked so much better in my mind. I just don't like the way it turned out. But I do like the floating, relaxing gator in the middle. He's pretty cute.

I also like the little orange frog. Except he was too heavy once I put him on the lily pad, and it kept tilting down into the water.


I also brushed green powder all over the base. I'm probably the only person that realized it.
This cake weighed a TON!
Let's break it down:
3 pounds flour
3 pounds sugar
2 pounds butter
1/2 gallon milk (don't know weight)
2 dozen eggs (don't know weight)
3 pounds strawberries
1 pound buttercream (approximately)
5+ pounds fondant
little bit of salt, baking powder, vanilla, other stuff
So I'm thinking this cake was over 20 pounds! Can you believe that???
Flour, sugar and butter weighs this much?
All I know is that it looked okay and tasted okay, and there was a lot left over. It was HUGE. Three twelve-by-twelve layers, with strawberries in between.

Dangit. Now I'm wanting some more cake.

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I love this cake!

Anonymous said...

the cake was wonderful to eat and to look at. everyone loved it.too many hours of work to go too fast..

James ~n~ Amber said...

I think it's cute ! I love your little characters. How did you do the water in the pond ? Maybe you said in your post but I missed it.

Are you going to enter something into the Threadcakes contest ? I'm thinking I might. It's worth trying to win some cool prizes !!

Tracye said...

Thank you all!

The water is piping gel that I cooked about an hour before we had to leave!!! Talk about pressure!

I've thought about it... but I probably won't. Although, I guess I could make one just for our family to eat for the heck of it. I don't know yet. You should!