Monday, June 22, 2009

A Big Change... For Someone Who Resists Big Change

Remember this picture? See how beautiful and long her hair is?

This was the big change:

And she was NOT happy with me about it. Last Sunday, her hair was in a knot the size of my fist. It took quite some time, and many tears, to get it all untangled. It was waaaay past time to get it cut, so I made the decision: after Hubs got home from work the following evening, we would go.
Unfortunately, it must be some universal law that all beauty salons/barber shops/cheap haircut places all be closed on Mondays. So we went to the mall. They aren't allowed to be closed on Mondays, so they'd be forced to cut her hair.
We walked up to the counter about 45 minutes before closing time, and I told the lady that Christian needed a cut. She asked how much. Christian said she wanted to keep it VERY long. Over Christian's head and behind her back (sounds cruel, huh?) I mouthed to cut it all off. We then got into a discussion about how much hair was required to donate it to Locks of Love, and they said ten inches. So they put her hair into a ponytail, and cut it off just above the band. Once the hair was gone, and I saw how short it was (which is how short I thought I wanted it) I had to walk out of the place. I didn't want Christian to see me crying. How's that for being a level-headed adult?
She kept telling me, in her cute little angry voice, that she SAID she DIDN'T want to DONATE IT. But after they finished cutting, styling and drying it, I had to admit it was adorable.

I can tell from the way she walks that she feels quite sassy.

Although she kept insisting that she didn't like it.
So I brought out the big guns: I told her it looks like Aunt Kelsey's hair.

At which point she decided she loves it, and wishes we had cut it during the school year.
For the record, I'm telling her that Aunt Kelsey just LOVES folding clothes, scrubbing bathrooms and changing poopy diapers.
Kelsey, I'd appreciate any reinforcement, kaythanksbye!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is beautiful no matter what...but i love her hair. she looks older now... heaven help us...she already said she was almost a teenager. mil

James ~n~ Amber said...

It's precious and that's a good thing to do. You can go to Locks of Love website and read all about it. I did that about 4 years ago and I've kept my hair short ever since !

Crystal said...

Her hair looks adorable. I bet she'll like it more when she realizes how much easier short hair is to take care of. And Locks of Love is such a good cause!

Melanie said...

Her hair looks awesome. she got a new hip look and so will some other kid since she donated her hair to Locks of Love. :)

Kelsey said...

WOW!!! I must admit that I was holding my breath as I was reading along, especially when I saw "10 inches" and the picture of her sad little chopped off pony tail. But then I scrolled down to the after picture and she looks absolutely beautiful! I love the new haircut! And what a great cause. She looks so much older (how is she this grown up already? Seriously, when did that happen?) and like you said, sassy, which totally fits her personality.

And sorry, but I already tried to convince her that changing poopy diapers was fun and oh-so-helpful, but she didn't take the bait. She's a smart one, that girl...

Tracye said...

Thanks everybody! I'll post better pics soon. She looks so cute, but so grown up, and it absolutely breaks my heart.

I have NO IDEA when that happened!