Thursday, May 7, 2009

What the Doctor Said...

Basically, not much.


He did some tests (physical stuff to check Cavan's reflexes) and came to the same conclusion that the pediatrician did: brachial plexus palsy.


He doesn't know the extent of the damage. He said there's no way to know without an MRI, which is risky, since Cavan would have to be put to sleep for it. If the nerve is severed (which isn't likely since he has minimal movement) there's no hope that it will recover. If the outside of the nerve was stretched (leaving the fibers inside intact) it will likely recover.


He also doesn't know whether or not he will recover, or to what extent. He is optimistic, since the baby seems to show minimal improvement since he was born. I realized that I had the video camera with me, and that Hubs had taken video of his first bath at the hospital, so the neurologist and I watched it together. It looks like Cavan is moving his arm slightly more now than he was two weeks ago. Slightly. As in, I can't really tell that much difference.


Basically, we have to just be patient, wait, and continue to pray. The doctor said that if Cavan's nerves heal, and he regains use of his muscles, it will happen within the next six months. Beyond that time period, there usually isn't any progress.


He also said he doesn't think Cavan is in pain from this. I think that's bunk. It's only when you move his arm (not every time, and not in every position) that he starts screaming and can't catch his breath. It's a completely different cry from his "I'm hungry," "I'm wet," "I'm bored," "I'm sleepy" cries.

I left the office frustrated. I wanted answers, and there weren't any. We don't know any more today than we did last week.

He either wants to see the baby in a month, or have another neurologist see him, to check his improvement. I think I'm going to try to get an appointment with another doctor, just to see what they think.

Please keep praying for Cavan. It looks like (unless God gives him a miracle) that we won't know for sure for another six months.

10 comments:

MaryAnne said...

How frustrating. I hope you can find a second doctor who can give you some better answers...

Melanie said...

ARGHH--that is so annoying. Yeh, I'd probably see another doc too. You'd hate to wait those 6 months and than find out that something else could have been done. I'm sure they've covered everything but I can see how that would be frustrating.

I bet he's going to be just fine and dandy. Tell him he's going to need that arm to fight off his 2 siblings so he better get strong and quick. :)

PS: Maybe he can't move it much because he has too much adorable chub around it. :)

Take care and stay positive!

Anonymous said...

we will continue to pray that he gets better on his own. he is such a sweet little guy. love him to pieces. mil

Jenn said...

I'll definitely be praying for all of you. Huge prayers for complete healing of that little arm and shoulder. It's so hard when they are hurting and you can't do anything.

He's definitely a happy little fella! Those pictures are wonderful!

Best S.I.L. said...

Relief will come to you and Cavan. He will provide it in ways we have no concept of yet. Sorry the appt went so disappointingly. I know you wanted answers and got cague nebulous riff-raff. You should have punched him in the arm and them asked him is he could feel it! Just kidding! I love you and will continue to pray for whatever is God's will for you. Love to all!

hazel said...

Tracye, So sorry to hear this. I am so happy to hear you are going to get a second opinion. There are so many doctors that ignore or devalue a mom's intuition! I experienced this with my littlest one. My prayers are with you!

Erin said...

I cannont imagine what you are going thru. I am so sorry for you and lil guy. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Melody said...

Praying over here! But by reading what you've written, I doubt that the nerve is severed, or it wouldn't hurt when you move his arm...right? So in this case, pain is good...I guess??? Tough for a Mama though. Praying for BOTH of you!

Tracye said...

Thank you all so much.

Mzzterry said...

just checked in and read about cavan. please know i have prayed for you both. God will take care of you and it will be okay. =)