Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Totally Talented Tuesday-- Another Bathtub Cake



The Christian school I used to teach at (and, incidentally, graduated from) had its second-annual spring fundraiser Sunday night. Since last year's cake went over so well, they asked me if I would make another cake for the cake auction. I'm VERY huge, tired, and cranky, so it had to be something relatively easy. I chose the bathtub cake. This is the third time I've made it, and I think this one was my favorite. I put some sparkles on the bubbles this time. You can see them a little bit in the close-up of the kid.

They had several quite beautiful cakes in the auction... one made by two of my former students in the shape of a guitar. Those girls ROCKED that cake! I just wish I had taken my camera to show you what two young girls can accomplish (first timers, too!) when they set their minds to it.
My pastor made a cake, too. I heard that he made one last year, and it was a little sad-looking. This year's cake looked DEE-LISH-US! It was "triple chocolate," and had chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and piled on the top were blackberries and chocolate-dipped strawberries. Pastor got his cake on this year! Since it went for around $500, Hubs said I was out of luck. But dadgum I wanted that cake!!! I'm still dreaming about it at night. Yum. (Side note to Hubs: you may want to ask if that cake can be re-created for the birth of your third child.) Lord, I've got to get my mind off it.

The last cake up for auction was made by a "mystery chef," and also looked quite yummy. I didn't hear what kind of cake it was, but it looked like it had some kind of cream cheese frosting with nuts on top. Turns out, my pastor's wife (who happens to be Joel Osteen's sister), sneaked out of the house and used a friend's kitchen to make it! Her cake went for over $2,000!!! Seems the crowd trusts her baking a little more than his, eh? ;)

We had a really awesome time. I wanted to go last year, but Hubs was at the FBI National Academy halfway across the country, and Cullen was sick. I was just lucky to get last year's cake finished!

To see more talented people, go to Two of a Kind, Working on a Full House.
UPDATE:
Sorry! Forgot to say my cake went for $650. Up by $100 (if I'm remembering correctly) from last year.

12 comments:

Best S.I.L. said...

$2,000.00!?!?!?!?! That is insane!! I wish you had taken your camera so that we small town folk can see a real live multi-thousand dollar cake.

This bathtub cake looks great!! I love the spilled bubble bath and the cool floor tile. You never seize to amaze me! How much was raised off of your cake?

Dee said...

I really like that cake too! YOU rock!!

I would have love to see all the cakes they had!

MrsAshley said...

I am saving your page! I love it, i love it, love it! I'm an aspiring baker and wow, your work is great. I found your link on Mom Dot. I hope you're having a great day!

Ashley
Beauty4Moms.blogspot.com

Erin said...

U have such talent! That cake looks great.

fordfamily said...

I love the bathtub cake! You did a great job.. We need to get cakes into our auction.. I never thought of that!

MaryAnne said...

I love your cake!

Sarah said...

LOVE the bathtub cake, can't believe you use the word easy to describe it. I've never heard of a cake auction before and wow - $2000?!? - but what a great way to raise money.

awellcraftedlife said...

Wow! Great cake!

Tracye said...

Thanks for all the compliments! I feel like I've been run over by a mac truck today, but I hope to visit your blogs soon!

Michele Horne said...

You are simply amazing!

Valerie said...

Wow! That cake is awesome!!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

Wow!!! That is a gorgeous cake!! You are definitely a talented lady!! That is one talent I really wish I had!!