Monday, March 2, 2009

Totally Talented Tuesday... and Cake Show Results



Thanks for all the really kind and encouraging comments on Saturday and Sunday's posts. You guys sure know how to make someone feel good!

First of all, this cake didn't place at all. Several people told me how much they loved it, or how much their kids loved it, or how cute it was. Several people told me they were surprised it didn't win anything... but you just never know what's going to appeal to the judges. It had a few votes for the People's Choice award, so that's something, I guess. And I know it's going to taste good, so it's not a total loss!

Remember my Christmas cake that wasn't really a cake? Actually, it didn't have a single piece of cake on the board at all...

This one?

This one won first place in the Special Techniques category! I was shocked!

After I got my medal, Hubs and I watched a few more categories/divisions (category= what type of cake like wedding/sculpted/novelty, etc; division= child/beginner/advanced/master, etc...). Since I knew he wanted to go to Cabela's, I asked him if he wanted to leave right then. He said sure, so we left the awards ceremony and went back to the cake displays/vendors' booths to buy a few cake things.

We were on our way to the door when someone in my category/division stopped us to congratulate me. We ended up talking for quite a while, then said our goodbyes and began to leave. Hubs saw a few people with silver platters and asked what they were for... I told him I had no idea. On our way out, I saw the new president of Austin's cake club and stopped to say hi and congratulate her. She asked if I'd gotten my stuff, and I said, "What stuff?" She said, "You won another award!" (Typing that reminds me of the "major award" the dad won on A Christmas Story.) I flipped out! The awards ceremony was over, and I had missed winning! We went back into the hall where the awards were held, and she looked up what else I had won. Turns out, my Christmas cake won for the entire division!!! So I was one of those people that should have been walking around with a silver platter! Hubs couldn't resist taking my picture with my medals and platter, so this is one of the only times you'll see a picture of me on here. Yes, that's my 8 month pregnant belly behind my arm and under that shirt! Anything to make objects appear smaller.

But then, she said there was more! She started going through boxes and bags, and part of my prize (the medal and the platter were more than enough for me!!!) was three buckets of fondant (which is what all those little people and things are made of; it tastes like marshmallows), piping bags, a dusting brush, a fondant smoother, a box of sugar flowers, a GIANT box of cake mix (it's more than 4 times the size of store-bought mixes), a jar of banana flavoring... and a check! It felt like Christmas morning! Hubs wanted a picture of all my winnings, so here it is:

My sweet friend Darcie took a picture of us together in front of everything. Hubs said since the Christmas Day concept was his idea, he'd just settle for the check (you know, the one that's made out to ME!) and let me have all the cake stuff, since he's not into making cakes. Isn't he just the sweetest thing ever?

Seriously though, I had a GREAT time with him there. He's so much fun to walk around with and listen to his comments (some of them are funny, some are pointing out things I hadn't noticed, and some are downright snotty!) and just look at all the cakes with. I don't know many men who'd be willing (and pretend to actually enjoy) spending a weekend at a cake show. Don't feel too sorry for him, though. He dumped me for a few hours on Saturday for Academy's gun counter. :) I was okay with that. I watched a bunch of live competitions and shopped at all the vendors' booths. Then Sunday we went to Cabela's gun library. He found a gun he was interested in... for $60,000. That's SIXTY. THOUSAND. DOLLARS. I told him I'd have to win a heck of a lot more cake competitions to pay for that thing!

All Sunday afternoon he had to endure me hitting him on the arm and saying, "Can you believe my piece won over all the other cakes in my division??? Can you BELIEVE that???"

I'm still finding it hard to come down from my cloud.
To see what other people are talented at, go to Two of a Kind, Working on a Full House.

17 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Congratulations!!!

Dee said...

YAY!!!!!!! As I sat and read more, I got more and more excited! You got all kind of great stuff and you look fantastic!! I can't believe the bath one didnt win but the christmas one is amazing too and I'm glad everyone else recognized that!!! How cool is that? I'm so proud of you!

MOMMY-MOMO said...

wow! congrats! That is mad talent!!!

Abby said...

I love the first one! I guess I am no judge though. You did a great job!

April said...

Absolutely WONDERFUL job!!!!! Congratulations on your big win!

April said...

Congratulations on your big win! Your pieces were amazing!

Crystal said...

Yay!!! Congratulations! I knew you were going to win something, your work is just too good not to. Those were some pretty cool prizes you snagged.

Corrine said...

oh my goodness, how awesome is that! and your cakes are so awesome, very talented...have you ever worked with that one clay to make ornaments and such??

shopannies said...

congratulations on your win and you are truely talented in what you do

Tracye said...

MaryAnne-Thank you!

Dee-Thanks! I don't think I look fantastic, though! ;)

Mommy-Momo-Thank you!

Abby-Thanks! The first one was a recreation of my boy's second birthday cake, so it's kind of close to my heart.

April-Thank you!

Crystal-Thanks! That's really sweet! I think they're pretty cool prizes! I HATE making black and red fondant.

Corrine-Thanks! No, I've never worked with clay. I've played with play-doh a time or two, though!

Shopannies-Thank you so much!

Lisa said...

Heeee! I learned from Kyla on Facebook that you had won in your division! How awesome is that!? And look at all those goodies. :-) I'm jealous. lol But very, very pleased for you. :-) You deserve it.

Great photos! (Are you really already 8 MONTHS?!?!)

Rhea said...

Congratulations!! That is amazing. I'm so happy for you. :)

Tracye said...

Lisa-Thanks! It was so unexpected, so I'm really happy and surprised, above all! And yes, I'm 8 months! When I saw Debbie Brown, the first thing she did was reach for my belly! The last time I saw her I had just found out. I'm looking quite different, I'd say!

Rhea-Thanks again! I'm happy, too!

Best S.I.L. said...

Ok, so you got all these fabulous awards and recognitions and you are surprised? HELLLOOOOOOO!!! We have been telling you that since that first pink and purple cake! You are truly talented and it pains me that you had to hear it from total strangers and you didn't believe your family. Would I lie to you? Really? But on a real note... That is truly awesome. You deserve all the glory God has bestowed upon you. You are far more talented than you give yourself credit for and you are finally realizing it. Cudos!!! We love you!

Oh, by the way, I have your Girl Scout cookies and I want my family pics back!!

Melanie said...

Girl, I'm so proud of you! That is so freakin RAD--you deserve it all and more. I can just hear R making cake comments. haha--he cracks me up! Good ol Country boy. :) I love the platter and all you're goodies and the great pics of you by all your winnings. :)

Kelsey said...

Congrats, lady!!! You are so super talented and I am so super jealous. I can't believe how much the sugar figures resemble you guys...especially Cullen! Did I mention you are super talented?

Jenn said...

Holy Cow WOW!!! Congratulations! As I said before, I'd be commissioning you for birthday cakes if you lived anywhere close to me! I'm looking forward to seeing the amazing creations you put together with your winnings!

On a side note, you are ADORABLE!!! I'm so glad you posted a picture of YOU! It's nice to put a face to a name!