Monday, March 30, 2009

Christian's 7th Birthday Party



It was Saturday.

I spent the evenings last week modelling sugar animals to put on her cake... she drew a picture for me to go by! She wanted a barn, a cow, a pig, a sheep, a chicken, and herself sitting on a horse! Not too much to ask, huh?

Friday night I didn't think she was going to get her grand farm-themed cake, to go with her cowgirl-themed party. I was just exhausted. Somehow, I finished it. I don't know how those Food Network challengers do it! They only have eight hours to complete a cake five times the size of this one!
The barn is white almond sour cream with strawberry swirl cake... and it was DELICIOUS!!! The pasture is Devil's food. They both have white chocolate buttercream.

Cullen really liked the animals. He wanted to kiss them all. I held the chicken so he could get a closer look, and he kept saying he wanted to give it a kiss. I knew nobody would be eating it, so I let him. Then he wanted to kiss the cow, so I held it up for him, and he LICKED IT!!!

I was so mad! I had to re-color the cow's face, since he licked the color off it. Like I said, nobody ate the animals. All the kids wanted to, but there weren't enough animals for each kid to have one, besides the fact that Cullen kissed and licked them! Little turkey.
Hubs really liked the little sheep. I thought he was pretty cute, too. He and the cow are Lorraine McKay's design... I just copied her! Incidentally, she's coming to Houston this week, and I'm SO SAD I can't go! But my OB looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if I could... since it's three hours away... and I'm 3 1/2 weeks from my due date!

Christian thought the pig's, ummm... ham, was pretty funny.

This cake is definitely not without its "issues," and trust me, I see them all. I was so unbelievably tired, and having numerous contractions, that I decided to skip leveling the cakes. I knew it would come back to bite me in the butt. The pasture was not flat, so the barn was sitting on a slope. I expected to wake up Saturday morning with the barn having rolled out of the pasture and off the cake! Then, when I placed the cake on the board, my belly prevented me from getting as close as I normally can, so I couldn't see if the cake was straight on the board.

It wasn't. Oh well.

See those little pink boots on the table? Those boot cups are the whole reason for the cowgirl party. She found those in a birthday party supply catalog, and just HAD to have them. There were brown ones for the boys. I found sets that had cowboy hats, spurs, sheriff badges and belts with HUGE buckles, so I wrapped them all up inside bandanas for each kid, along with their boot cup, which they drank from at the party.

My little cowgirl had a great time, and loved her cake! Especially since the sugar figure of herself is riding a horse, while wearing her cowgirl hat and new cowgirl boots. NOT to be confused with cowboy boots or a cowboy hat. There's a difference. It's pointed out to me every time I slip up.

We were so busy, I can't believe I actually forgot to wrap and give her her gifts! They're still in my closet... I'll get to it... eventually.

To see some more talent, go to Two of a Kind, Working on a Full House.

12 comments:

MaryAnne said...

very cute cake!

Crystal said...

That cake is soooo adorable! I love the animals, you are so good at sculpting.

Together We Save said...

Wow you are an awesome cake decorator. With that said thanks for having John 3:16 on your blog. You sometimes when you read something you have read 100 times before it just moves you.

Abby said...

Wow! That is an amazing looking cake. I am so impressed!

James ~n~ Amber said...

You did an awesome job ! The best part is that I'm sure it made your daughter's day.

Food Network...helps that they have lots of help and all the fancy equipment at their finger tips !

Dee said...

WOW!!!!! I am just completely amazed! And I see you're getting down the wire with your pregnancy! How exciting!

Lisa said...

Look at YOU! That is total Aine-quality. lol The highest compliment, no?! Just the cutest sculpting. And that barn...awesome. You did a fantastic job!

Sara Bonds said...

That is so neat. You are talented! That is awesome work.

My TTT post is : http://ordinaryandawesome.blogspot.com/2009/03/totally-talented-tuesday.html

Tracye said...

Wow.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Mzzterry said...

I envy your talent! Great cake!

babyrocasmama said...

Your cakes are GORGEOUS! I am currently trying to find someone to make a cool lady bug cake for my 4 year old's birthday party that doesn't cost an arm and a leg AND is tasty (it seems you can't have both..)

You are so talented!

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

You've been given the Fav Blog Pop!
You can grab your display code and register your pop for prizes here http://www.coolbabykid.com/2007/11/blog-pops-sweet-valentines-blog-treat.html

Thanks for being one of my favorite blogs to come visit!