Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cake Show Today! (LOTS of pictures)

I'm at the 5th Annual That Takes The Cake Sugar Art Show and Cake Competition in Austin today.

Here is the second piece I'm entering:

I'm calling it, "Christmas, 2009," because it's a snapshot into what our living room will look like this coming December 25.

Here's Hubs and me...

with my big, fat diamond ring (HA!) and my hot cocoa and cinnamon roll. I wonder what's in the box? Better be something good!

Hubs just HAS to have homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Christmas day. It's one of our family traditions, so I had to include them. There's wrapping paper and ribbon debris all around.

I probably should have made the box turquoise with a white ribbon! Seriously, it's the best Christmas wrapping a girl can get!

Here's one of the many tiny gifts I sculpted. This one's painted, too.

And my cute little Christmas tree. (That's "Kwissmiss twee" to Cullen.)

Christian is about to dig into her warm, gooey cinnamon roll... since she already opened her gifts!

You just gotta have marshmallows with hot cocoa.
Let's not forget the train... or "TWAIN, MOMMA! CUTE CHOO CHOO TWAIN!" as Cullen said when he saw it.

A tiny little car...
The baby... who is, as of this moment, nameless...
Cullen, with a new ball. Notice ganket is right behind him.

A tiny little rolling ducky.

The view from above.

When I held Cullen up to see it for the first time, his face was so precious! I wish I'd been able to get a picture of it, but, like I said, I was holding him. He just kept noticing all the little details, which really surprised me. He pointed out the Christmas tree, the "teddd-a-bear," and each of the toys, he pointed out the "sit-down baby, the sit-down Daddy, the sit-down Momma, the sit-down Shistian." He didn't realize he was on there, too! I also thought it was cute that he was telling me what each person was doing. He even noticed ganket! What a smart little baby boy!
I think it's funny that whenever Cullen sees me modeling things like this, he always knows right away that it's cake. Most adults don't realize everything on that board is edible, but Cullen sure does!

"I ant (want) cake, too, Momma! I ant cake, too!"

This took soooooo much time. I think I went a little overboard. As I mentioned yesterday, Hubs had the idea for the family Christmas scene. It was Christian's idea to add Santa hats.
The judging was Saturday, and the awards ceremony is at noon today...
Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Colleen said...

Very cool! It has so much detail!

Lisa said...

Awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Melanie said...

Well....did you win?

Crystal said...

Wow! That is AMAZING! I can only imagine how many hours that took.

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

WOW!!! You are seriously talented!! I am very impressed!!

Thanks for stopping by

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I wasn't surprised at all that you won. It was even cooler in person!

Darcie

MaryAnne said...

Wow, your cakes are amazing! Did you win?

Anonymous said...

let the suspense go....you need to tell them that you are wonderful TO US... i am so proud of you for working so hard at your art and raising my grandkids whom i know are a handful..love them to pieces.....SHE WON BIG!!!!!!MIL

Rhea said...

Those are some seriously cool cakes! You really taught yourself how to do fondant?? I want to take a class bad. I would love to know how to do it. I hope you won!

Tracye said...

Colleen- Thank you! Like I said, I went overboard.

Lisa-Thank you! I'm a little proud of this one, too!

Melanie-Yes Ma'am!

Crystal-Thank you! I really don't know... LOTS!

Liz-Thank you! Love your blog, BTW.

Darcie-Thank you! I was shocked! I'm glad you liked it and we got to talk again. Let me know how the vanilla bean paste works out. I've been thinking I should have knocked you down, taken it and ran! Been craving that cake you were talking about ever since!

Mary Anne-Thank you! Yes, I sure did!

MIL-Thank you! And thanks for keeping those handfulls this weekend for us! You looked exhausted Sunday night... and I completely understand why! Chuck-E-Cheese twice in one weekend??? Only a grandma would do that.

Rhea-Thank you! Yes, I just googled a whole bunch, read as much as I could, and figured it out as I went along. There are TONS of cake books out there that also help a lot.

Tracye said...

Rhea-Let me clarify and give credit where credit is due. I learned how to make/work with fondant myself. I found a recipe for marshmallow fondant online and just went after it.

As for making people, I learned that from Lorraine McKay. She has a blog and tutorials to buy that show you step by step how to do it. I was also blessed to be able to take a class from her in person last October. The animals and some cake sculpting techniques I learned from Debbie Brown.