Saturday, January 17, 2009

Update on Christian

We took her to her doctor in the afternoon... sorry, but I really can't remember which day it was. Wait. Wednesday is when she got sick and was in the ER, Thursday is when she saw her doctor for a follow-up. He agreed with the ER doc's prescriptions, with the exception of the antibiotic. She has a virus, and antibiotics fight bacterial infections. But he said that since we had already started it to go ahead and finish it. He said there was absolutely nothing we could have done to prevent all this; she just got a virus, and together with her allergy-induced asthma really knocked her down quickly.

He said the steroid was the absolutely most important medication we can give her. He said it will either keep her out of the hospital or cause her to have an even worse relapse if we don't give it to her consistently. The problem is that it REALLY upsets her stomach. We have to give her two teaspoons morning and night. So he suggested we give her something to eat, then 1/2 a teaspoon, wait 15 or 20 minutes, then repeat three more times. It's a pain, but she's kept it all down. It really seems to help the most. She's been able to go much longer between breathing treatments since she's kept it down.

She feels so much better, which is actually part of her problem. The medicine kicks in and she starts to feel good; she gets all excited and runs around and wrestles with Cullen, and she almost immediately can't breathe and starts coughing her head off again. So we've really had to keep on her to rest and stay on the couch or in our bed or sitting at the computer (she LOVES PBS kids and Playhouse Disney websites).

That was a pretty scary night... and morning. It's so hard to watch her struggle for each breath, and not be able to do a thing to help. It got to me. I couldn't watch, because I started to feel like I was suffocating. With each breath, her skin would suck up in between each of her ribs, and up against her trachea at her throat. She's still retracting at her throat, but not as much. I got up in the middle of the night last night to check on her while she was asleep, and she wasn't retracting at all. Now it's just when she goes too long without a treatment or when she plays too hard.

Thanks for all your encouraging words and prayers. It meant a lot.


Cat@3KidsandUs said...

:-( I sure hope the medicines start helping. She sounds miserable.

Melanie said...

Thank goodness! I'm glad she's doing better now--too scary for me. Hang in there girly...this to shall pass.

Jenn said...

It's been a long few days for all of you. I'm glad she's responding to the treatments. Be sure to get some rest yourself.

Saying some prayers for healing and rest for all of you.

Terra Jones said...

Hi Tracy - I'm so sorry to hear about your lil girl. We have a lil guy on breathing treatments to, it can be so scary and overwhelming!

But, I come bearing good news!! You won the Mabel's Label's giveaway on my blog! :) I'm emailing you as well, so please respond to my email by noon on Friday (EST) to claim your prize!