Thursday, January 15, 2009

So tired. So very, very tired.

The school nurse called me at 11:00 yesterday morning, to let me know Christian was wheezing and needed her nebulizer. So I took it up there, and the nurse gave her a breathing treatment.

I gave her another one at 4:00. Just before dinner was ready, between 6 and 6:30, she started panicking and saying she couldn't breathe and needed another one. So we gave her one. We waited an hour, gave her another one, waited another hour, gave her another one, waited ten minutes, and gave her another one, but this time a different formulation. This was the treatment they gave her the last time she had this problem. By this time, her heart was racing from all the medication, and her breathing was not better. So I took her to the after-hours clinic, where they listened to her heart and lungs, and then walked us to the ER. This was at 10 pm.

The doctor came out to the waiting room immediately and listened to her heart and lungs. He said we had done a good job of opening up her lungs, but she was still wheezing, and her heart was too fast... from the treatments. He said to wait away from the doors (it's been chilly here; who'da thought?) and it shouldn't be too long. A nurse came a few minutes later and listened to her again, and checked her oxygen saturation. It was around 95.

We waited for another few minutes (during which time she started panicking because she couldn't breathe) and then they called her back. They hooked her up to the heart/oxygen monitor, and started another two breathing treatments. After those, they did a few chest x-rays, that showed a virus in her lungs.

So we left, armed with four new prescriptions (on top of the 2 breathing treatments and singulair she's already on), and headed to the pharmacy. I'd say two hours in the ER, from the time we walked in the door until the time we walked out wasn't too bad.

We got to Walgreens just after midnight, where I expected to wait at least an hour. The pharmacist pleasantly surprised me by actually having the meds ready in the thirty minutes he said it would take.

Got home just before 1 am; Christian had fallen asleep in the car during our wait at the pharmacy. I had her sit on the couch while I got all her medicine ready. She was O.U.T. So it was difficult getting her to take it all. She fought me a bit, which she NEVER does, so I knew she was 1. feeling pretty rotten, and 2. really super exhausted. She didn't want to sleep in her room (and I didn't want to listen to her snore all night) so I set her up on the couch, complete with puke bowl and wipies, just in case her prescription cocktail didn't sit well with her.

She woke up at four, crying that she wanted to go home, and panicked because she couldn't breathe. Hubs and I calmed her down, and tried to get her to understand she was already home, and started another breathing treatment. She fell asleep right after I started it.

She came in this morning at eight, waking me out of a SOUND sleep, panicking again because, once again, she couldn't breathe. So it was another treatment.

She seems to be breathing okay now. I just got off the phone with her doctor's office, and they want to see her today. Yay.

**************************************

Okay, there has been an hour break since the last sentence... I just gave her all her medications, and she threw it all up. Great.

Good thing we have that appointment later today.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Tracye. (((Tracye))) (((Christian)))

Hope she is better SOOOOON. Keep us updated.

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

:-( I remember the days like that when my son was a toddler. His asthma was terrible. Hang in there, hope she feels better soon.

Colleen said...

oh no...so sorry she is so sick...Hope she gets better soon!

Jenn said...

Goodness....I sure hope that the doctor can get her on something that not only clears her up, but that sits well on her stomach. And I'm prescribing a nice long nap for you.

{{{HUGS}}} to you all!

Southerner said...

I hope you all can rest a little today. I guess that would freak you out to not be able to breathe. Hope she gets over this today.

Yes, I made the laundry detergent and it has worked great. I have planned to blog about it but need to find a price for the Arm and Hammer so I can do a cost comparison. I have not gotten the toothpaste. I will have to look at the deal because for some reason I didn't really queue into it- just looked and will print that coupon and go. I already have a lot of toothpaste(like 15) so I don't think I will get a lot. Thanks for the heads up.

Melanie said...

Yikes!! I hope she feels better soon. That has to be so scary for her and for you guys. :(

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

Aww, poor baby!!! How's she feeling now? That's got to be so scary, Tracye, watching your child struggle to breathe. Please let us know what the doctors said and how she's doing.