Thursday, January 29, 2009

An interesting day...

Cullen and I went to the grocery store today.

Once we got there, I got out of the car, opened his door, then locked all the doors, and shut the driver's door. I stood in his door, getting his ganket and truck and cow and diaper bag and sippy cup and all the things we would need for a short trip inside.

I noticed someone standing behind me, and realized an elderly man was waiting for us to shut our door so he could get into his car and leave.

I tried to squeeze further into the doorway of our car and shut the door as much as I could, but at over 7 months pregnant, there's not much squeezing to be done.

So I shut Cullen's door so the man could get into his car.

And then realized that my purse, keys, cell phone, and baby were locked inside.

My heart fell into my shoes as I stood there, looking in at him. Thankfully, our car has a keypad on the driver's door to unlock the car.

Unfortunately, I don't know the code. Hubs does, but as I mentioned, my cell phone was locked inside.

In the past, when I've been too lazy to get my keys, I've randomly punched numbers and successfully unlocked the car. The code does not use all five keys, and I am able to remember which ones aren't used, so I just started punching the ones I know are part of the sequence.

It didn't work.

I was frantically punching numbers, and praying someone nice would pull into the now-empty spot next to us, when a Suburban pulled in. An elderly couple were inside; she was dressed beautifully, and he looked like a retired Texas Ranger-- from his cowboy hat to his reflective sunglasses, all the way down to his shiny boots. They were resplendent.

The man got out, and I said, "Um. Excuse me, sir. But do you by any chance have a cell phone that I could borrow? I just locked my baby inside my car."

He looked kind of shocked, and began reaching for his phone, "Sure!" he said.

"We have this keypad that unlocks it, but I don't know the code. My husband does, though," I explained.

"Well, call him!" he quickly said as he handed it over.

I dialed Hubs' cell number, praying he would answer even though he didn't recognize the number.

He gruffly answered, "Officer Honey Bear." Not really, but that's what I heard.

I explained our situation, and he patronizingly, and with more than a trace of laughter in his voice, told me the code. I punched it in, and the locks popped open.

The lady immediately opened Cullen's door, and started gushing, "Oh, baby! Sweetheart, are you okay?"

She giggled then turned to me and said, "He must be okay. He just said, 'Bye-bye,' which I'm guessing means 'Get lost!'"

I smiled and thanked them profusely, then hugged and kissed Cullen and went inside the store.

And did my darndest to avoid the sweet couple that just saved the day.

I'm a shoo-in for Mother of the Year.

8 comments:

Erin said...

O you poor thing! That is one of my biggest fears. I think I check for my guys 10 times before shutting the door. Then I always have a sinking feeling after closing the door.
If it makes you feel any better, my MIL locked my son in the car when he was about 8 weeks old. The cops had to come and everything! And I think Hubby's aunt did the same with her child.
It happens...

Melissa said...

Ok- I will admit I have locked my son in the car too! Thank goodness it was a rainy day here in Florida when I did it and not 150 degrees out! I had to borrow a cell phone too and call 911 who sent out the fire department and the pop a lock guy. I was mortified!!

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

Oh you poor thing!! That must have been cause for a mini-panic attack. I'm so glad they were so nice and there to help you. Don't worry - we've all done something like that.

Once a dad at our church left his toddler in the car during Easter services. (Remember I lived in S. Florida where it's already hot at that time of year.) No one realized it until the mom (whom had come earlier for choir) went to the nursery to pick up the little girl and found no one had ever dropped her off. They were hysterical with worry as they ran to the car, where fortunately she was safe and sound, thank God. The dad's profession - pediatrician!! It happens to all of us, but at least you solved the problem quickly and Cullen was fine.

I can't believe you are 7 months already!!!!

Melanie said...

haha--great story. That is so funny that the lady opened the door and started talking to Cullen. heehee. Good thing he answered the phone. :) Now, tattoo that code somewhere. :)

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

Those code pads are savers aren't they? I wish more cars had them.

Lisa said...

That's a great story. :-)

I'm so glad hubs answered the phone! Thank you God, huh!?

You *are* a great mother...could happen to any of us.

Tracye said...

You're all soooo sweet!

Thanks for making me feel better about it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm going to blame it on focusing on the pregnancy... mommy brain, I believe is the technical term for it.

Best S.I.L. said...

Girl, I did that too once- well actually Colton did. I had loked him into his car seat and then went about putting the groceries into the backseat with him (this was when we stioll had John's big black 4X4). Well I was afraid I would drop the keys, so I gave them to Boo to hold. When I finished unloading the groceries I shut his door. This is when he took the opportunity to play with the keys and push the buttons. I was talking outside the window in a sweet little voice, "Puch the buttons again for mommy! Come on push the buttons!" I am sure I looked like a total shmuck! Anyway, he managed to hit the right button and I was able to get back into the truck, but for a brief moment I was completely terrified. I couldn't walk away with him in there and there at that moment, there were no people around to ask for help! I feel you girl!! Hang in there! Love you!