Saturday, January 3, 2009

I know it's late... but here's our Christmas recap.

I'll start at the beginning, which was for us, on Christmas Eve. We went to my in-laws' for lunch. It was delicious... when we were finally able to eat. Apparently, the hay guy didn't get the memo that Christmas Eve is a time for family, and decided to deliver 20 bales of hay at the exact time dinner was ready. Hubs, being the good ole country boy he is, just had to drive the tractor and unload it all. It took quite a while. The kids had plenty to occupy them before the meal was ready. These first few pictures were taken by my MIL's sister. She has an insane camera (which I'd be more than happy to accept, should she ever decide to give it away! ;)) and takes awesome pictures.


Here's Cullen, being held by my in-laws' neighbor. He LOVES her. She's protecting him from all the vicious cows on the other side of the fence who just live to torment him with all the mooing and what-not.
Once we realized it was several hours past Cullen's naptime, and that if we didn't leave immediately we'd either, a) be late for church, or b) miss Cullen's naptime completely, we hightailed it home. We got the naptime and a light dinner out of the way, and made it to church with plenty of time to spare. It was a candlelight service and it was beautiful. The son of a teacher I used to teach with proposed to his girlfriend on the big screens just before the sermon. It was a tear-jerker! Can you imagine what a special Christmas this was to them?

We got home just in time to have our neighbor greet us with chocolate chip cookies and gifts for the kids. They ripped into the cookies immediately! Christian finished hers, then tried (unsuccessfully!) to con Cullen out of his!
Please, Cullen? Please can I have a bite of your cookie?

Heck no! Are you nuts??? Get away from me!!!
So after we washed their dirty little faces and brushed their stinky little teeth, we put them in their jammies. Christian set out cookies and cocoa for Santa, and then went to bed. And then got up. And got yelled at to get back in bed. And then got up again. And then got yelled at again to go to bed. And got up again... ad naseum.
Here's what the living room looked like right after Santa visited...
Cullen, right after getting out of bed... with his crazy hair and too-short jammies. Oh, Dear Lord, where is ganket???
Here they are, checking out the cool spinning see-saw Mimi & Popo sent them.

Christian, holding some of the stuff Santa brought...

Cullen, going straight for the wooden cars Santa left...

And holding up the Aquadoodle accessory pack.
Here's the wreckage after the marathon paper-shredding session. No, we didn't get a new carseat. That was Hubs' way of disguising the new body pillow he got me. The bottom of the carseat box was filled with the icicle lights he never got around to hanging on the house. He wraps the weirdest stuff with my gifts. One year I opened a giant box that was filled with old sheets, only to find a small jewelry box in one corner. It's his way of "throwing me off." Weirdo.

Christian and Cullen see-sawed and spun all. day. long. And we laughed and laughed. They were hilarious on that thing! I got some video of it... one of these days I'll get around to putting it on here.

See the bottom half of my pregnant self? I'm the one in the red jammies.

We stayed home all day and let the kids play with all their new stuff. I think we "cleaned" three times that day! It seemed like each time we'd get a handle on the mess, they'd open something else.

Last year, Cullen really had no idea what was going on. This year, he got the hang of it. He'd randomly yell out either, "JESUS!" or "SANTA CLAUS!" He still yells, "CHRISTMAS TREE!" This was the best Christmas I've ever had in my entire life. It was so much fun to watch them get so excited and play with their stuff together. I know it's just going to get more fulfilling each year.

The following Saturday we went to my dad's house. My brother and his wife and their three kids were there. So were my grandpa and his wife. It was a pretty good day.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We certainly did. And it really had nothing to do with what we received. Although what we received, we loved.

We were able to do something to bless others, and it just felt so good. I think that was part of it. I think we should do something like that each year. Find someone else to bless.

What an awesome Christmas.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

What an awesome Christmas! Cullen has gotten so big since the last time you posted pictures of him. I hope you all have a very blessed and happy 2009!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary... you two have made a wonderful family... i can not wait for the next child. they are such a joy to us... i love the christmas story.. love you both mil

Worst S.I.L. said...

I have to send my sincerest apologies! I have not had a 2009 calendar made and did not realize that I missed your anniversary until the 5th. I will no longer sign Best S.I.L.; I will from here on out be dubbed Worst S.I.L. Please accept my deepest apologies for missing your monumental day. I love you both and wish I had the mental capacity to have remembered the anniversary of your glorious union. You just wait...with each child you more and more brain cells.

Tracye said...

Don't worry about it! I barely remembered!!!

We got each other some truly awesome gifts... I'll post about it soon.

It was a wonderful day, full of all the joy of married bliss.

Swathi said...

Wow Excellent Christmas with awesome pictures! Childrens are cute and very active and energitic.Wishing you to have a very speacial Christmas every year.