Monday, December 1, 2008

Why I Hate Black Friday... and Wal-Mart

So Hubs and I wanted to get Cullen a power wheels jeep for Christmas. Wal-Mart was going to have them for $88 on Black Friday. We paid about $200 for Christian's when she was his age, so it's a pretty good deal. So we got there at 4, only to find the whole store roped off.

Hubs is very sneaky, and found where the jeeps were, so we went around all the ropes (without violating any Black Friday etiquette!) and stood directly in front of them. With about 20 other people. They were wrapped in black plastic, and apparently the rules were that at 5, the plastic would be ripped off, and insanity would ensue.

We realized very quickly the odds were against us. There were two pallets of jeeps, with 8 jeeps on each one. FOURTEEN were Barbie jeeps, and TWO were blue/boy jeeps. TWO. Out of FOURTEEN. Most of the people there were hoping for a boy jeep (we asked) but I don't think they realized there were so few. Hubs continually walked around the stack, comparing unit numbers, to reach that conclusion. One guy on the opposite side of the stack from us quite rudely and belligerantly announced to everyone who came near that "I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE 3 AM AND THAT BLUE JEEP IS MINE!"

O-kaaaaay.

Before I left the house, I checked online. Jeeps were available at the sale price, but they weren't offering free site-to-store shipping on it. This was about 3:30.

So Rude Guy mentioned that the jeeps were available online. I responded that the shipping costs were close to $30, with tax on top of that. He adamantly disagreed, saying he looked at 3 am (from his place in line?) and they WERE offering free site-to-store shipping. Whatever. Are you telling me that you could have ordered the jeep at the sale price with free shipping from the comfort of your own home, and yet still decided to brave the crazies??? Sure. Of course.

Anyway, 5:00 rolls around and people go nuts. Three people elbowed me out of the way. FOR A TOY! Of course there weren't enough boy jeeps. I found an employee and asked if there were more boy jeeps somewhere. He calls someone on his super-high-tech-earpiece-radio-thingy (sorry about the technical terminology; I'm geek like that) and gets the response that there ARE more jeeps being brought out right then, and they were on their way from the stockroom. He told us where to go to intercept them, and we went. No jeeps. We found the assistant manager to inquire further. She looked at us like we were crazy, and said EVERYTHING was out already. Thanks.

So we hurried to a nearby small town, hoping the majority of their shoppers had headed to us, since we're the metropolis in the area (HAHAHAHA! HOHOHO! HEEHEEHEEHE! HAHA! HO! HEE! HEE!). Sorry. I'm ready to continue.

Their jeeps were gone, and their lines were almost out the door. It was just as bad as it was at our Wal-Mart. Maybe a little worse.

So we turned around and headed home, deciding to just buy the jeep online and pay the shipping.

We got home around 6:30, only to find the jeeps out of stock online (as well as the camera I wasn't crazy enough to stand in the line that wrapped around the ENTIRE store for). Nice.

But GUESS WHAT???

TODAY, they're available online. For $135.

Do they really think I am so stupid as to believe they sold out of them on Friday (and were still unavailable Saturday and Sunday) only to magically have more today? For almost fifty dollars more???

And while I'm ranting, what genius shipped two boy jeeps out of sixteen to our store?

I HATE Wal-Mart.

I LOATHE Wal-Mart.

I'm NEVER going there again.

Unless, of course, they get me a boy jeep for $88.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

That is exactly why I quit trying to shop on black friday!

Shelley said...

I've never been a fan of Walmart. I totally would have called that guy out on his lie about the jeeps being online. People like that drive me nuts and I get pleasure from calling them out on their lies. Does that make me a bad person? I'm not a Black Friday shopper at all. I just can't take the crowds!

Best S.I.L. said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I hate Wal-Mart, too. But for other reasons. If I hear of a cheap Jeep (hahaha) I will totally get it for you! By the way, I would like to keep all my hair, so I guess you can keep all your loot! Love you!

Melanie said...

haha--I love that story. You should have bought the pink one and took it to the auto-body shop to get painted...you probably still would have come out ahead. haha. PS: Casey despises Wal-Mart too.

Lisa said...

Yuck. I avoid stores on Black Friday. I'm sure by now you heard about the man that was trampled to death at a Wal-Mart. Very sad...

No bargain is worth that chaos to me!

In fact, I'll go so far as to say I think these early bird specials should be banned. It seems to just promote barbarianism (is that a word? :-))...not worth my life; not even worth a cat fight.

lonestar said...

Oh, that is sooo frustrating!! I hate how the stores purposely have too little on hand of the sale items they advertise, just to create a frenzy. That was insane to only have 2 boy jeeps! I gave up on Black Friday shopping a long time ago, I don't like the crowds (especially ornery crowds), and the savings (if you can actually get what you're looking for) aren't worth the stress...

I hope you're able to find a good deal on the jeep!