Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I need 3 days of uninterrupted sleep.

Because last night, I didn't get any.

Yesterday morning, Christian was coughing a little before school. I gave her some cough medicine and sent her on her way, with instructions to call me if she felt worse later.

At noon I got the call from the school nurse: she was nauseated, not wanting to eat her lunch, and coughing and wheezing.

I picked her up less than five minutes later, and gave her a breathing treatment when we got home. I asked her if she wanted anything to eat. First it was pizza, then hot dogs, then she finally settled on mac'n'cheese. So I didn't think she was super bad. I made her take a nap, and when she got up, I gave her another breathing treatment. That was close to four. By 7:30 last night, she couldn't breathe at all.

I took her to the after-hours children's clinic. They tested her oxygen saturation, and it was at 91. (The nurse told me as we were leaving that she freaked out at that point, and was ready to have her admitted to the hospital.) Her former pediatrician (who was her doc since she was born up until this past summer) was the doctor on call, and remembered hospitalizing Christian for these same symptoms when she was three years old. She gave Christian 3 back-to-back breathing treatments, using a stronger, fast-acting medication, then one more treatment of another formula. She said that if her body didn't stop "tugging" or "retracting," after the treatments, that she would have to go to the hospital for round-the-clock oxygen and treatments. Her body was working so hard to take each breath, that you could see her entire rib cage and her trachea. That's the "tugging" and "retracting."

After the three treatments, you could no longer see her ribs, but her trachea was still visible. She was still breathing very fast and shallow, but her skin and lips had regained some color. So the doctor let me take her home, as long as I gave her a breathing treatment every hour. ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

We got home from the clinic/pharmacy near 11:30. We were in bed around midnight, after the first treatment. I woke her up at 1:00 to give her another, at which point she started throwing up all over herself. We cleaned her up and put her back to bed. I woke her up at 2:15 for the next one. It went well. I don't think she even fully woke up for it. I was just afraid she was going to start vomiting again. Ugh.

The rest of the night was uneventful. If you call waking up every hour (I swear, it was worse than having a newborn!) uneventful.

I called her doctor's office first thing this morning (which her former doc wanted me to do) and they wanted her there ASAP. We were there 30 minutes later. And home by 10:30.

Basically, she picked up some virus, and he wants me to continue the treatments and medications the after-hours doctor prescribed. Except I can reduce the treatments to every four hours!!! Yea!

So that's been our night and morning so far.

I'm trying to get someone to call in an IV for me... of pure caffeine.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

oh man....I hope she gets over it fast! (((hugs)))!

Erin said...

O u poor thing!! Hope she feels better and everyone gets a better night sleep!

Melanie said...

Yikes! That is so scary and not fun. I hope she gets better soon and that you can get some sleep too.

Michelle said...

I hope you get some sleep soon. Poor baby, I hope she feels better soon! Haven't chatted with you in a while, how are the cakes coming?

Tracye said...

Thanks everyone.

She's much better now. Went to school today, but still has to have breathing treatments and steroids and cough medicines, etc...

I just asked her teacher not to let her play outside or go to PE because she gets winded and wheezy fairly quickly right now.

Michelle, I just posted pics of Cullen's birthday cake today. It's been awhile since I've done one, but his was really fun.

Jenn said...

Hope you both get some much needed rest!

Take care of yourself!

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

How scary!!! I hope she's ok now. It's scary how quickly they can go from a minor complaint to be seriously ill, isn't it?

Get some rest, Mommy to be!