Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So... how are you?

I have been flitting around the net, reading peoples' interpretations of last night and the days to come, and I have to say I'm exceptionally disappointed.

Intensely disappointed.

Gut-wrenchingly disappointed.

I could truly care less about the color of Obama's skin. That, to me, had absolutely nothing to do with the election. So for just about every person to comment on the history that was made last night is tiresome. To me. Although I do see how electing an African-American as president has broken down walls, and possibly healed some hurts.

That said, I am also disgusted.

I have read comment after comment by people who "can finally be proud of America." I'm sorry... what???

How can you not be proud of a country that allows it citizens:

freedom of speech?
freedom to assemble (even when it's to protest something the government said/did)?
freedom of religion?
freedom of the press?
freedom to own weapons to defend themselves?
freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures?
the right to a trial by a jury of its peers?
freedom from excessive fines?

We also have more choices available to us than any. other. country. We can walk into any grocery store and are immediately assaulted with at least 30 different choices of beverages, bakery products, meat products, cereals (my word, the cereal choices!), fruits and vegetables we've never even heard of, etc... The list goes on and on.

We can work where we want to work, live where we want to live, worship where we want to worship, read what we want to read, go where we want to go, all without having to answer to anyone for our choices.

We have reliable electricity, running water, air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter, and more television channels than any one person could ever watch.

We have emergency personnel who show up at our homes (or while we're stranded in the middle of nowhere) to help us in times of need.

So this idea of "finally being proud of America" boggles my mind.

I'm disgusted.

I am most certainly NOT proud of the way America voted yesterday.

I am NOT proud to call my leader a man who won't stand during the pledge of allegiance, won't place his hand over his heart, believes leaving babies to die on a hospital shelf is okay, isn't sure at what point life begins, believes "redistribution of wealth" is good for our economy, believes expanding government coffers is good for our economy, believes expanded governmental control is good for our nation, has been linked to corrupt organizations and leaders, is not sure which part of the Bible to follow, and several other reasons.

I do know that before He created a thing, God knew what was going to happen yesterday. He has a plan. He says in Romans that, "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." That doesn't mean we're going to like what's going on. It doesn't mean we can or will understand it. I also know that there is no doubt, uncertainty, fear or hand-wringing going on in Heaven today... or ever, for that matter. There is no second-guessing.

I do not like the outcome of this year's election. But I will obey my King, and His command:

"Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king."

When Peter wrote that, the king he was referring to was Nero.

My point is that if Peter could encourage the early Christians to honor the man that was feeding them to lions and impaling them upon poles and burning them alive to light his gardens, then surely we can pray for and honor our new President notwithstanding our political views.

As Christians, we are commanded to pray for those in authority over us. For reasons I don't understand, Barack Obama will assume that position in January.

Christians, I think it's time to pray like never before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written, I agree with every point, as well as having some of my own as well. I just found out that he's going to appoint Rahm Emanuel as his Cheif of Staff. Rahm is the son of an Israeli terrorist.
Here's a link about his background:
http://www.dailynewscaster.com/2008/11/04/rahm-emanuel-the-next-president-of-the-united-states/

We need prayer more than ever right now.
Bubba

Huse Yo Mama said...

AMEN, girl! It's sickening!!!

Praying more now than I ever have for our country!!!

Best SIL said...

Well said my sister in Christ! I am proud, not only today, but always, to call you family and friend. You have stated the information in a well-educated and well-informed manner. Thank you for always standing up for what you believe in. I love you and I believe through Christ our God, that truth and a better outcome will prevail.

Angie Vinez said...

WOW. This is my first visit to your blog (thank you for leaving a comment, btw), and this post just blew me away! You have expressed exactly what I have been feeling/thinking perfectly. I only wish I could be so eloquent in writing my thoughts down.

January will be here before we know it. Now is the time to start praying, and praying HARD for our nation.

I'm so glad you stopped by. I will definitely be back to visit you often. Thank you so much for your kind words.