Tuesday, November 18, 2008

MomDot Blog Party-Day 5

Today's Blog Party theme is describing what you do to give back during the holidays. Do you volunteer your time? If so, please tell us where. What do you do to teach your children the true meaning of the holidays?

We don't volunteer much, except at church, in the nursery. We donate one or two toys to the Toys for Tots or Blue Santa.

I am the only person in our family that is honest with Christian about Santa. I have explained to her that Santa Claus was a real person, who lived and died just like everyone else. He was very generous, and gave toys to children who couldn't afford them.

Does she believe me?

Nope.

Just the other night, she found the North Pole on Google Earth, and got so excited that she had found where Santa lives. She asked me, "Isn't that where he lives, Mom?"

I told her, "Christian, why do you even ask me anymore? I've told you, there's no such thing as Santa." (That looks really cold, all typed out! I promise, it wasn't!)

She adamantly said, "Oh, yes there is!"

We always include books about Jesus' birth during the holidays. We read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve, but we also read from the Bible.

Christian (and soon Cullen) knows exactly what Christmas is really all about... but she likes the benefits of believing in Santa!

Day Five Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Baby Pop and Chic Covers.

9 comments:

Tena said...

what is Blue Santa, never heard of this before?

Stephanie said...

How cute...they don't believe you and you are telling the truth! We read about the real St. Nicolas not too long ago, fascinating.

Anonymous said...

i am the guilty one also. i want to keep magic in christmas, along with the truth. i never really had one until my kids. christian knows in her heart. she just wants to believe in getting a surprise in gifts. she knows your answer before she says anything to you, as she has told me many times. her momma does not believe in santa. we love you anyway. we may know the truth and talk about the religious side of it, but we also need the pretend side also. the crazy mil

ccswch said...

My 5 year old is the same way. It doesn't matter how many times his siblings or I say it, he just keeps insisting there is a Santa. I don't know how he'll act when the Santa for the firehouse next month is someone he actually knows.

Joanne said...

It's not cold. You are explaining to her the meaning behind Christmas. But it sounds like she is happy believing in the Santa Claus story for a little while longer. :)

Allison said...

I love how she researches to find out where Santa lives! My daughter has to research everything!

Cathy said...

That was cute! I "believed" in Santa until well into my teens!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

We don't teach Santa at all and my almost 3 yr old told me that Santa is bringing her a baby doll.

Momstart said...

My husband and his sister were told they need to pretend to believe in Santa to get Santa presents, but also told not to believe in him, isn't that crazy