Thursday, November 13, 2008

MomDot Blog Party-Day 2

If any of you did it yesterday, you know it was a massive success!!!

Today, I'm going to tell you about our family holiday traditions!

For Thanksgiving, I *love* going to my brother and sister-in-law's house. They have a bajillion family members and friends over, and if you go hungry, it's your own fault! After everyone eats until they're miserable, the tables and chairs are put away (oh, yes, we have to have folding tables and chairs to accomodate so many people!) the ladies start making Christmas crafts. Last year we made decorative Christmas reindeer. I put mine on my front porch, but I didn't get a picture. The year before we made beautiful wire and glass bead crosses. This year, we're doing two projects: painting gourds and... I forgot what the other one is! But it's always super-fun to craft after dinner. The men usually meander around or watch football or help cut wire or drill holes or whatever we need them to do. They make themselves useful, and ooh and ahh appropriately over our projects!
Last summer, I decided to teach myself how to decorate cakes. That Thanksgiving (FOUR MONTHS after I began practicing!), Hubs asked me to make a cake for his work Thanksgiving party... so I did this:

The day after Thanksgiving, I go shopping... although I like to be mostly finished by then! Sometime in the next week we'll get our Christmas decorations up, but it's not a set date.

Christmas Eve, we usually go to mine or Hubs' parents houses; sometimes both. That's probably the most difficult part of Christmas. They each live about 30 minutes from us, but an hour from each other, so working out schedules and get-togethers can be tricky. My brother works shift-work, so that's gotta be planned for, too. Christmas Day is just for us--we never go anywhere! We used to open one gift on Christmas Eve when I was little, but my grandparents lived really far away. Our parents live close by, so we've already opened a lot by the time we're home that night! Christmas Eve I don't cook, because we're usually stuffed from a family gathering. Christmas Day, I put homemade cinnamon rolls in the oven as soon as we wake up. We open gifts, and then stuff ourselves on cinnamon rolls. Hubs just can't have a Christmas Day without those rolls! After the living room is trashed, we clean up, and I start the meal. It's usually ready around 1 or 2. For the rest of the day, we watch 24 hours of A Christmas Story and play with all our stuff! Christian usually spends 10 or 15 minutes playing with one toy before she moves on to the next!

I absolutely LOVE Christmas! It's my favorite time of year!

For more holiday traditions, check out MomDot.

Today's theme is sponsored by: LaPlates and Lets Go Strolling and Natitys Design.

19 comments:

Shasta said...

I love the idea of making Christmas crafts after Thanksgiving dinner!

Jen said...

I love the idea of making Christmas crafts with the children on Christmas morning. What a fun thing to do in a large group!

Jen
http://www.100DaystoChristmas.com

3 Kids and Us said...

I love shopping the day after Christmas too.

Julie@Cool Mom Guide said...

Sounds like you have a busy holiday season! Here's My Day 2!

Melissa said...

I'm going to do the Black Friday shopping for the first time this year!! Thanks for sharing!

Staci said...

Your cake is amazing!

The craft idea sounds fun. We always sit around and watch A Christmas Story too, you'll shoot your eye out. Such joy!

Tena said...

Your cake is amazing, you are so good! They blow me away

Trish said...

Wow, that cake is amazing!

Momstart said...

come visit me. great post

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

What an amazing cake. It looks so real. You are so talented!

Lisa said...

Wow. Is that really cake? Amazing.

I smiled reading about the crafting at T'giving. How fun is that?!

And cinammon rolls (home-made!) on Christmas morning. Yum. I wish I could make those. I'm drooling just thinking about them.

CompleteLee Blogger said...

That's a cake? Seriously? Wow! really creative.

Natalie said...

THe Turkey cake is awesome!

The Petersons said...

How would that be to have your shopping almost done the day after Thanksgiving? I'm so jealous.

Shelley said...

Awesome cake! I love decorating cakes. I did 3D carved cakes for my son's birthday this year (Lightning McQueen and Mater). I wish I had more time to do cakes! The crafts at Thanksgiving sound fun!

Nanny A said...

Wow I need to hire you to make me a turtle birthday cake :) The turkey is awesome! Thanks for visiting my day 2 blog http://www.nannyadventures.com/blog-block-party/post-98-christmas-of-dreams-blog-day-2-holiday-traditions/

~Michelle~ said...

That sounds like so much fun, making Christmas crafts after Thanksgiving dinner! I might have to suggest that to my family, haha.. It sounds like you have a lot of great family traditions!

Rita @ My Precious Pennies said...

Oh my goodness...can you make me a thanksgiving cake and we'll have that instead of a real turkey?

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

That turkey cake is amazing!