Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Halloween. Again.

I have never liked Halloween. Well, maybe that's not entirely true. There was probably a time when I enjoyed getting dressed up and seeing how many houses I could clean out of candy.

But it's been a while.

I've never bought, made or put out Halloween decorations, and it's only been in the last couple of years that we've taken Christian trick-or-treating. I haven't even bought any candy this year. To hand out, I'm saying.

I have bought candy.

But I like to bake (shocker!) so I decided to make some cupcake pops for Christian's class. Look closely, because you will never, ever see these on this blog again.

I baked the cake at 9:00 last night, then dashed to the store for the rest of the supplies, and got home at ten to finish what I could before bed. Which was at 1:30 this morning. I got up at 6:30 this morning to get Christian ready for school, and started working on these the minute I got home from dropping her off at 7:30. Well. Not the minute. I did have to drink a cup of coffee to clear the cobwebs from my brain. Unfortunately, the coffee didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

But I did finish them just in time to rush them to the school, an hour before dismissal, so she could hand them out to a bunch of sweaty, stinky-dog-smelling kids who probably don't care what they look like as long as they taste good.

And they do.

Lordy, they do.

So there's a pumpkin,
A mummy,

A ghost,
And Frankenstein. He's actually the cutest one... unfortunately my camera doesn't capture his good side.
Have I mentioned lately how much I hate my camera?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Cupcake Pops? Like, cupcakes on a stick? I've never made those!

Anyway, they are CUTE.

I'm not a big Halloween fan either. I think I actually celebrated the first year my boys were too old for trick or treating! (I know, mean mommy!) I always tried to come up with something cheap and clever for costumes basically because I didn't want to invest in store bought costumes. I guess now I look back and smile at the photos but at the time it seemed like drudgery, to be honest! Like the time I wrapped yards and yards of old white fabric strips around my older child so he could be a mummy...wrap and pin, wrap and pin...only to get finished and have him tell me he needed to go to the bathroom. :-/ (I think I didn't let him go! I'm sure I made him walk the neighborhood first! ;-)

Tracye said...

Yep, cupcakes on a stick. You crumble the cake into a bowl, then stir in frosting until it's completely mixed in. Roll it into little balls, refrigerate, and put sticks in them. Then dip them/pipe them with chocolate. Pain. in. the. butt.

Thanks, though!

I don't think we've bought costumes, either.

I would have made him wait, too!

Melanie said...

Those look super cool and yummy! I liked Frankenstein the best too. :)

Crystal said...

Those are so cute! I've never made them before but I think I'll give it a try sometime. I bet the kids loved them!

Lisa said...

They do sound like a lot of trouble. YOU. ARE. A. GOOD. MOM!

:-)