Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's been a while...

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Hurricane Ike turned toward the north, which is great for us; not so great for Houston and Galveston. The wind picked up here, and we got some good thunderstorms Saturday night, but that's it. Not enough rain to get us out of this drought.

We were especially worried about my brother and sister-in-law. They live near Houston, very close to the water. Their fence is damaged, but I believe that's it. (Kelsey, correct me if I'm wrong!) Some homes near theirs suffered damage; hubs said one of their friends (neighbor?) had their roof cave in.

I went to the grocery store last night. It was crazy. I couldn't even find a parking spot, so I drove across town to another store. There, I got the last bag of sugar and the last of the milk. The flour and bread shelves were empty. I wanted ground beef to make tacos this week, but it was wiped out. The bacon was gone. I was shocked that so many "basics" were gone. I can't imagine what the first store was like. Hubs says that a lot of Houstonians are coming here to buy groceries, since they're out. People were at Lowe's buying as many generators as they could, and loading them on to flatbed trailers.

On a lighter note, last week I took my very first cake class. It was to make a purse and sugar shoes. Here's the instructor's project:



Her work was amazing! Those shoes looked like you could step into them and walk away. They almost looked like they were made of porcelain. Just beautiful. As always, my lovely camera doesn't do them justice.

And here's my effort:


I made a shorter, fatter purse, since I had to travel a bit. I didn't want mine to fall over on the way. One poor lady sculpted her purse, covered it in buttercream, then we all watched as it crashed to the floor. Three. Times. She ended up carving and decorating a piece of styrofoam. I can't believe that cake actually stayed in one piece after hitting the floor three times, though. Maybe I should have asked for her recipe? ;)

My shoes took a long time to dry. When this picture was taken, they were still soft. I removed the support to take the pictures, which is why the heels are misshapen. The weight of the shoe pushed them out a little.

It was fun, though. I learned a lot. Like, I will never. ever. EVER. sculpt a dog cake again.

I'll post pictures of the other two projects soon.

They are interesting, to say the least.

9 comments:

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

Glad you are doing well. Sorry the family had some damage from the storms!

I can't believe that was your very first cake class! You had a definite head start on the rest of the class, that's for sure.

Great purse and shoes!

can't wait to see more!!

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

I'm so glad things went well for you during the hurricane. I know what that hurricane panic is like at the grocery stores - nothing on the shelves!

I loved your purse and shoes! I didn't even notice the heels being misshapen until you mentioned it. Very, very cute!

Have a great birthday, just in case I don't get back here. I hope you get your Dyson!!!

Crystal said...

Glad to hear you made it through the hurricane okay. Your purse and shoes look pretty amazing to me! I've been experimenting more with fondant lately. I still have a lot to learn! Thanks again for your recipe, it tastes so much better than the stuff I've bought.

I can't wait to see the pictures of the other two projects :-)

Erin said...

glad to hear u survived the storm!
that purse and shoes are adorable. u do such an awesome job.

Jenn said...

You are back in one piece! Yay! Sorry there was damage, but it sounds fairly minimal. What a huge blessing!

That cake is so cool! I actually like the "funky" heels. Not what you normally see.

And the cake that hit the floor three times and was in one piece?? I'd be afraid to eat it.

ChickysCakes said...

Amazing cakes!
& great news about the hurricane for you & your brother in law.
:)
I wish we had a course like that here...I am going to look into that in Ottawa..it's about an hour away.
Be Blessed! ~Cheryl

Kelsey said...

We are great now that power has been restored!!!! It's hard to be too excited though since so many in the area are still without. We had minor fence and tree damage and a small roof leak, so we were very lucky. Our friends did have their ceiling collapse, and until they can find temporary housing, they are staying with us. The house guests include 3 adults, 1 baby, and a great dane. Can you say full house?

Adorable cake, by the way!!!

And...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Melissa said...

Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound!
also, your purse looks better than the instructors! Great job.

Leeann said...

Those are amazing! Great job!