Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The heat, it is not my friend.

It destroyed our home's air conditioner today.

I'll wait while you pick your jaw up off the floor.

Ready?

K. So I had just finished feeding Cullen his lunch, and I noticed the house was warm. So, being the energy-conscious person I am (cough!), I turned on the ceiling fan. Only that did almost nothing.

So I laid Cullen down for his nap, turned on his ceiling fan, and bid him good night. Only he didn't want to be bid (-den?) good night. He immediately jumped up, lifted his arms to me (which gets me nearly every time!), and said, "Down?"

I patted his sweet little head, and left him in his crib to settle peacefully to sleep. (BIG COUGH!)

I then went to turn the air conditioner up (down? whatever. I wanted it colder.) and noticed the display read 80 degrees. In my house. Whereas I prefer it below 80 degrees. In my house.

So I checked to make sure it was on. It was. It was set at 78. So I set it at 76. And waited. Nada. I flicked the switch off, heard the thermostat click, then flicked it back on. Nothing. I turned the fan from auto to on. Zip.

I could literally feel the temperature rising degree by horrible degree, so I did what any independent, free-thinking woman would do. I called Hubs. But he was in some fancy-schmancy meeting and didn't have his phone on.

An hour later I was able to share the good news.

He called back almost immediately and said he and the A/C guy were on their way.

It is now almost 6:30 in the evening, and the A/C is still. not. fixed. Bless his heart, the guy has made two part runs already, and can't get the dadgum thing to work. Apparently it keeps blowing a transformer? I believe is what I was told. I really heard, "Wahn-wahn-waaaahn-a/c not working-waaahn-wahn-waaaahn-wahn. Wahn."

At noon, when all this started, it was 95, with a heat index of 100. I haven't been able to bring myself to look again until now. It's 94. Wow. That's almost arctic.

Anyway. My mil came and got the sweaty little kids and took them to her sub-zero home for the evening. Hubs borrowed a window unit from a friend. It is cooling our bathroom delightfully.

Why didn't he put it in our bedroom window, you ask? Why, that is a wonderful question! And I have a very technical answer. Brace yourselves.

I. HAVE. NO. FREAKING. IDEA. !!!

!!!

I just left my bathroom (which is where I will be sleeping tonight unless something changes. and by "something" I mean Hubs moves that unit to within five inches of my comatose body) for ice water. They have added some quite enchanting decor to my dining room. A wire running from the a/c, up and through the chandelier, then down the wall and out the french doors to the outside unit.


It is so refreshing to have not only a handyman in the home, but also an interior decorator.

I fear the heat is getting to me.

My sarcasm knows no bounds.

8 comments:

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

Too funny! Your post, not your lack of fresh cool air. I hope everything gets fixed before you die. Really.

Anonymous said...

you are so lucky to have your man...just look at jill's site.. she had to tough it out with her hubs without kids on a cruise..i will back you on this.. you deserve time also.. putting up with inlaws and outlaws...kids, animals, heat...you are a trouper..do you really want something to work with for your birthday??? fun presents???mil

3girlsmom said...

Hysterical.
About the cords running all over your house. Not the sweltering heat. Boo on that.

Crystal said...

I feel your pain girl! We had an air conditioning problem a couple of weeks ago and it was horrible. I would not have done well in the days before electricity. I hope they've managed to get it fixed for you by now.

Melissa said...

I am so sorry! My thoughts are with you during this time! haha. I would have checked into a hotel already. I hate the heat! Hope it gets fixed soon :)

Jenn said...

As I type...fans are running and it is 82 in my house. Ours died Thursday night and we discovered it when we all arrived home to a sweltering abode last night. It's gonna be Tuesday before our new unit is in...all $3500 of it. And that's installed by a family friend who does AC on the side. Sheesh.

Hope you are enjoying tons of cool air.

Erin said...

i know i am way late on commenting..but i hope everything got fixed by now. i don't mind the heat to well but it makes my hubby a bear. so i just let him freeze me out!

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

It's so hard when the ac is out! I grew up in Arizona and I remember we once had a day like this...I think I was sweating just sitting in my room...blah. Glad it was fixed for you.