Saturday, August 23, 2008

Just a little sum'em-sum'em

Hubs has a friend who raises chickens.

Hubs is a country boy from way back.

Using deductive reasoning, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.

I will say, though, seeing your six year-old girl in a fancy dress and rubber galoshes chasing chickens is the funniest sight you will ever see. I just about fainted from lack of oxygen, I was laughing so hard.

They gave us this:


It's a dozen eggs in four days. Which is what they're averaging. Apparently, two of them lay one egg every two days, and four of them lay one egg on the off day of the previous two. So we get six eggs every two days. It's like Christmas every time Christian goes out to check. She gets so excited to "get" an egg. Which means Christmas this year will be fairly easy on us! ;)

With my eggs, I baked these:




Which, to the casual observer (a.k.a. Hubs) would seem to be quite ordinary homemade blueberry muffins. Unfortunately for the casual observer, these were anything but ordinary. This recipe came from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious Cookbook (thanks, Kelsey! I LOVE IT!) and contained pureed yellow squash. The casual observer didn't care for them. Christian, however, LOVES them, and thinks she's really getting away with something when I give them to her for dessert! I think they're pretty good, too, but I wish I hadn't doubled the blueberries. They just didn't look blueberry-ie enough, but I'm guessing they would have been.

I was really in a baking mood.

I also baked a loaf of whole wheat bread (which was quite ordinary, and delicious!) and two loaves of banana bread, also from Deceptively Delicious. Those contained cauliflower. Which, when warm, you couldn't really taste, but after they cooled down, you could tell something was amiss. Still, it was pretty good for breakfast.

The baking mood, it has passed.

2 comments:

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

I just got that cookbook, but haven't made anything in it yet. I'm not sure why I bought it, my family will eat anything, including any vegetable.

Your math on the eggs made my head spin. I hate mornings.

Jenn said...

Mmmm....those look really good. I like chickens...but only when they are------>over there. :)