Thursday, July 24, 2008

Harry Potter cake

I really hate black fondant. To get it black, you have to add tons and tons and tons of black color. The result is an almost useless mass. It cracks terribly, and becomes almost powdery. Usually fondant is nice and soft and stretchy, like clay. But black... it's surely the devil's spawn. It's very, very difficult to work with. At least for me. Hence the following results.

Anyway, here's the Harry Potter cake. I believe I mentioned I know next to nothing about him, but gave it a go anyway.




This little spill of "magic powder" is probaby my favorite part of the cake. I'll have to be really careful when I deliver it tomorrow. One stiff wind and the powder will be gone!


And for all those of you in the know about Harry Potter, thanks for the scar tip. I couldn't get a great pic because of the crappiness of my camera, so I cropped close enough so you could see it. Thanks!
Nighty-night.

6 comments:

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

Not sure why, but you always surprise me. Superb, my dear. Superb. I totally would have made his robe white. Just cuz, I'm that lazy. Who am I kidding, I would have eaten all the batter and called it a night.

Melissa said...

I love it. It looks really good- and i am a harry potter fan. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Well done!!

M'lissa

Jenn said...

Oh cute!!! Great job! I know they will love it!

Lisa said...

Wow. That's an awesome cake! What a labor of love...

Tracye said...

Thanks ladies!

She e-mailed me and said that, yes, her daughter loved it... and my screw-up was okay.

Huge sigh of relief!