Friday, July 11, 2008

A date and some sadness

Last night hubs and I went out to dinner and a movie. Red Lobster (it was the fastest non-fast-food around!) and Indiana Jones.

The food was pretty good, but I was a little disappointed with the movie. I'm not a fan of sci-fi... but two hours of staring at Harrison Ford? I'll take it.

At dinner we were just talking, and I remembered hubs talking to someone on his cell phone before we left the house, so I asked him what he was talking about.

There was an accident at a car wash in town yesterday, and he went to the scene. A mother was vacuuming her car, and her six year old was playing with her one year old. The baby fell down, and a teenager driving a Hummer, not seeing the baby on the ground, ran over him. Hubs said the baby was at the hospital by the time he got there, but the responding officer said (with tears in his eyes) it was the worst effing thing he'd ever seen in his life. This cop is a veteran of the Iraq war; someone who had a pretty gruesome job while he was there. He suffers through nightmares quite often. Hubs has counseled him, and really has a soft spot for him. This guy has a toddler boy himself, and his wife cheated and left him, and he's trying to pick up the pieces of his life.

The baby didn't make it.

Hubs was telling me about the accident, and about the cop, and said, "He doesn't need to see that. He's got enough to deal with." He said he's really glad the baby was gone when he got there; he's not sure if he would have been able to hold himself together. He had tears in his eyes when he was telling me.

I just love him so much. I really love his heart.

He's not afraid to cry in front of officers who are going through rough times. He's cried with them in hospital rooms over their own children's health. He cried when he told me one of his guys was having a brain tumor removed. He cried when Cullen was three months old and was hospitalized. They never found out what was wrong, but think it was rotavirus. That poor baby went through an entire package of diapers in three days. But hubs wasn't ashamed to cry as my bosses prayed over him and the baby.

And I think that is probably the sexiest thing about him. He has such an unbelievably big and beautiful and sensitive heart.

Go kiss your babies and hold them close tonight.

6 comments:

Erin said...

o that is so sad about that baby. it seems lately all u hear about is stuff happening to little kids and it breaks my hear.
but what a sweet guy hubby seems to be. i wish mine would show some emotion like that at times.

Melissa said...

Oh, that poor family. Thanks for sharing- they will be in my prayers tonight!

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, that seriously breaks my heart! I came over here to say HI from a fellow officer's wife. (I ran across your comment on Ashleigh's blog.) Our husbands see some gnarley stuff. Your husband sounds like a pretty special person! Mine isn't very free with his tears. Well, I mean, he just doesn't cry. I tried to make him cry for 7 years when we were dating before realizing it isn't happening. Now it's been 12 years and I've still only seen him cry 3 times. Once at his Grandpa's funeral, and the other two at each of our children's births. He's gotten teary at times, but the tears don't flow, darnnit! lol I know what you mean, though. Men who cry & men who cook... those are good things! Oh well. I'm sure I cry enough for the two of us! haha Glad I stopped by!
-Megan

Mzzterry said...

Hi Tracye.
Thanks for your comments of prayer support you left on my blog. My husband can cry, I love that in a man. I think real men can cry! I am sorry about the sad incident though, it seems so senseless, just know that God is in control.

My blues are just a temporary thing, I am sure! Yes, I live in East Texas, it is really hot here and heat exacerbates my MS symptoms! So I just have to chill out indoors!

Have a good weekend. Enjoy your project!

Becky said...

Hi Tracye,
This story broke my heart. I can't imagine what the mom is going through right now. I don't want to. I'll be praying for her and the other officer.

My husband is a police officer, too. I'm amazed at what they see and experience and then are able to walk away with faith. I'm just so thankful my husband has Jesus.

Feel free to use the video you saw on my blog....I stole it from another blog, too. : )

Jenn said...

How very sad. I sometimes wonder how they see all the things that they do and still manage to keep their sanity.

If only all these fellas would learn that a little softness goes a long way with their wives...