Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Baked potato soup recipe

I mentioned I cooked dinner for the Chief when he was sick recently. It was baked potato soup, and it was delicous... or at least I thought so! He actually said it was the best potato soup (even better than Boston Market) he's ever had... which is what I thought. I just thought I was on such a cooking high that I was delusional, but whatever.

Lori asked for the recipe, so here it is. It is really quick and easy, so try it sometime, and let me know what you think.

4 large potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk (I used half cream, half milk)
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar & monterrey jack cheese blend
1 cup sour cream

Bake the potatoes. Using a clean kitchen towel, rub the skins off. Put in a bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Melt butter in a large pot; add flour. Gradually stir in milk (and cream if you want it to be really creamy and delicious!); continue to stir until smooth, thick and bubbly. Stir in the potato chunks, and remaining ingredients. Cook until hot. If the soup is too thick, add a little more milk. I like a really thick soup, so I reduced my milk by a cup. Garnish with extra “toppings” if you want.

6 comments:

3girlsmom said...

Oh. Yum. Will make this soon.

Jenn said...

Mmmm....I am going to have to try this!

Kristin said...

I love potato soup; I will have to try this recipe!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I apologize for my lack of instructions for the clipboard. I almost ALWAYS post a tutorial, but got lazy today. Basically, I just traced the fabric in the shape of the board, and used mod podge (decoupage medium) to adhere it. Then I finished off with a top coat of mod podge. I have several posts on decoupaging if you are interested!

http://www.graceviolet.com/2008/06/wonders-of-mod-podge.html

http://www.graceviolet.com/2008/06/how-to-decoupage-notebook.html

http://www.graceviolet.com/2008/04/paper-crafts-are-probably-my-favorite.html

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

This sounds so delicious! I can't wait to try it. Of course, it won't be the same since I can't get bacon here (I can get turkey bacon though), but I'm going to give it a try soon anyways. Yummy!!

Melissa said...

Sounds so yummy. I'll have to make this soon! Thanks.

Megan said...

I CANNOT wait to make this soup!!!!! Let you know how it goes. Thx!
-Megan