Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Our cra-zazy last two weeks, part one

I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus. Our lives have been jam-slam-packed with waaaaaay too much. I'm just now looking at all the pictures, and finding time to write about everything. I will attempt to break it down into manageable pieces.

Or not. Be forewarned: there will be LOTS of pictures and mindless ramblings. But you get what you pay for.

First, let me start by saying everything I'm about to post is at least a week old; most of it more than that. So when I say, "Tuesday," I mean two weeks ago... and so on and so forth.

Tuesday, Christian graduated from kindergarten... here she is in the sweltering school cafeteria... with 500 other people all generating too much heat.

You'd think someone would have turned the AC on a couple hours before it all started. But no. So there I was in a cute little dress (little being figurative/relative... whatever) sweating like a pig. But boy did I look cute. Unfortunately, I don't have photographic proof of this.

Wednesday we got up (extra early!) to drive to Houston, and then fly to Washington, D.C. Cullen was pretty good in the car (two 1/2 hours) and in the airport (one hour) but somewhere in the middle of the flight (three hours) his patience wore out. He actually fell asleep in his car seat during the first part of the flight (Hallelujah!)


but got pretty angry about being confined for six straight hours and threw a fit (albeit a small one) on the plane. My mil tried to entertain him for a while (the woman has the patience of Job, I tell you, she does!), but he saw me get up to go to the bathroom, and he went off again. He ended up falling asleep in my arms, and slept through the landing. The guy next to me was a pilot, and asked me to let him by because he was a jerk in a hurry. Cullen woke up as we jostled him around playing musical chairs, started crying, and the guy just stood there, since 75 other people were ahead of him, waiting to de-plane. Nice. Clearly he didn't celebrate Father's Day last Sunday. Anyway...

Thursday there was a luncheon for all the graduates and their families. Do not adjust your monitor. Persons in picture appear larger than actual size... or not.

I found out why hubs complained about the food. However, I do not think he has room to complain about his accomodations. This is what he saw looking out from his room each night:

Thursday night there was a dance for the graduates and their wives. They all jokingly referred to it as "The Prom." It was pretty lame, too. Again, no photographic evidence of how cute I looked.

Friday was the graduation. He looked so handsome in his new suit.

He introduced us to a couple of his favorite instructors. They had really great things to say about him... that he enriched the class, had a lot of interesting points, worked really hard, blah, blah, blahtedy-blah... I was so proud. Here's the pic I got of him during graduation:

I know. I'm an awesome photographer. Please don't bombard me with requests to photograph your special event; I am just way too busy.

After graduation, we packed up all of hubs' stuff and moved him into the hotel with us. To clarify: he'd been staying in the hotel with us, but had been too lazy to pack up and move until the staff had stripped his bed and left his door open! He was literally THE LAST person left on his floor! The kids went back with mil to the hotel and took a nap, and hubs bought me a souvenir. Waaaaay out of character for him! But I love it!

And to those of you who know him as the Cheapest Man Alive, it's totally real. Woot!

He immediately slipped back into his normal personality and informed me this was the last bag I am allowed to buy. Ever. Clearly he's off his meds.

Friday afternoon we went to Mt. Vernon, and toured George Washington's house.

I know... I'm hot.

Must've been, like 243 degrees outside.

Okay... it wasn't that hot. 120, tops.
A really horrible overnight storm (during which the power went off in our hotel. good times.) had knocked out power to a large area, so there was no a/c. We went to the back porch overlooking the Potomac River to relax and cool off. Cullen and Christian played barefooted on George Washington's back lawn. I can't believe I just typed that. There was an old lady who was so enamored with Cullen, that she squatted for about fifteen minutes, following him around, getting closer and closer, trying to get his picture. I couldn't blame her... he really did look adorable.

Saturday we went to Fredericksburg, Virginia to tour the Chatham house, which is a pre-civil war mansion that both Washington and Lincoln stayed in. Then we went downtown for the best ice cream I've ever had. Completely ruined me. As if I needed the help.

After that, we headed to Baltimore. I went to Charm City Cakes, from Food Network's show, "Ace of Cakes." It was closed. Big sorrow, here. Doesn't matter. They don't allow visitors. We peeked in all the windows, saw some really, really cool cakes, and took some pictures outside. I know this picture is not dated last week... but hubs took pictures on a trip he took there, and all the pictures I have are not very flattering to me... so... you get this. Imagine me sitting right there! On the steps! Really!



We headed back to Virginia, and went to the Arlington National Cemetery. We got there just before closing, so were only able to visit JFK's grave and the eternal flame. It was our second trip to D.C. (mil's first) and we really weren't up to walking the whole cemetery, so it wasn't a big loss. Hubs and Christian hiked up to Robert E. Lee's house... while we waited down below!

After that, we visited the Iwo Jima memorial. It's so much bigger than it looks in pictures. Next, we drove around D.C., and pointed out a few of the various monuments... a few (as in more than two) times! Anyone ever been to that circular piece of roadway??? It's like National Lampoon's European Vacation! We had originally planned to spend the whole day touring D.C., but realized Hill was giving a speech to her (former) supporters there on Saturday, so we made alternate plans!

For those of you keeping track, that was Quantico, Virginia, to Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Baltimore, Maryland, to Arlington, Virginia, to Washington, D.C., and back to Quantico... all in one day! After the marathon sightseeing, we went back to the hotel (with two VERY tired babies) to pack up for the loooooong trip home.

I promise Cullen has a mouth... with teeth and everything! It's just usually hidden behind that stinkin' thumb. Working on breaking that... prayers are appreciated. But I digress.

Christian decided to drive home with hubs. Just a "Daddy and Daughter" trip. They spent two nights in Nashville with my mom, and got home Thurday.

Did I mention that I'm tired???

Believe me, there's more... but I'll save that for another post!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that Tracye was a trouper. all that running around and with kids and me tagging along. Had a great trip. Thanks for the memories, getting to see my son graduate and hearing great things about him. His family is a real joy. mil

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

Great update. Great photos...well, except for maybe the black one....and congratulations on graduating. Both Christian and the hubs!

Jill said...

Wow, what a trip!!! I'm SO impressed with the bag! I will have to lay off the bologne jokes for just a while. I'm sure you are SO glad to have him home... we hope to see you all this summer!

Jenn said...

I'm tired just reading that!!! Welcome home! I've been on hiatus as well, but not for such exciting reasons!
Congrats on the graduation! Look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more of your adventures.

Melissa said...

First off, Congratulations to your hubby! woohoo! And you saw charm city cakes! I would love to see that building. And with all that sightseeing, I would be exhausted.

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

Wow, what a fun trip!! And it's so exciting that your husband is now a graduate. So does that mean he starts working for the FBI right away or how does that work? Just curious.

And, you know, I've got a really big day coming up. It's the 5th anniversary of the 4 month anniversary of my 35th birthday. I'm thinking, based upon that LOVELY picture you took of the graduation ceremony, that I might fly you out here to be my personal photographer for that day. Whaddya think?

Tracye said...

Thank you, all!

We had an awesome time... but there's no place like home.

Lori, I'd love to photograph your special day!