Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cougar Cake

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me with my first attempt at piping. At the end of this way-too-long story are pictures of the finished product.




Today Christian went to a birthday party to end all birthday parties. It was a circus theme, and they had a cotton candy machine, a snow cone machine, hot dogs, popcorn, carnival-type games with prizes for each win, an inflatable obstacle course that included a slide about 25 feet high, and each child went home with a t-shirt that said, "I had a blast at Victoria's sixth birthday party!" I went home with red arms, face and neck from being in the sun for three hours... it was hot out there!



My mother-in-law picked up both kids in the morning so I could work on the cake. Just before she arrived I noticed Cullen seemed warm, and he didn't eat nearly as much breakfast as he ususally did, so I thought he was coming down with something. I realized I was right when he threw up all over the kitchen floor. My mil called around 6:30 saying Cullen had a low fever, and had been pretty run down all day, so she was going to bring him home. All he ate for her was two cups of applesauce. By the time he got here, his fever had shot up to over 103. I gave him Motrin and put him in a lukewarm bath. He still wouldn't eat, but we kept trying to get him to drink, which he wouldn't do either. He didn't want popsicles, or sprite through a straw. He did take a little ice, though.

What I'm taking way too long to say is this: I didn't get as much time on my cake as I thought I would have... but here it is, anyway.



The little white blob is a volleyball. The markings don't come across in the pictures, though.

Yes, that is a hand-painted cake. I tried a few different tools to make painting the bricks easier, but nothing worked. I ended up having to paint each brick individually. It's supposed to look like graffiti... I, however, am NOT good at graffiti!

And now, off to bed I go.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That turned out great. Good work dear.

Melissa said...

WOW, that did turn out great! Way to go!

3girlsmom said...

That cake is awesome. Excellent job. I am an artist (paint mostly stuff for kids' rooms, murals, etc. but sometimes get to dabble in "real" paintings) and I have always thought it would be so fun to decorate cakes! I love looking at your stuff. I also love Ace of Cakes - I would love to work at that store!!! They do some crazy stuff.
I watched a Food Network Challenge last night where they made Princess Cakes and thought of you.
Yes, my daughter is 6 - will be 7 in May. She is in 1st Grade. Her name is Mary Emma. I also have 2 other daughters. Tait will be 3 in July and Camille will be 2 in November.
Where do you live? We're in Birmingham AL. Would be fun to actually meet one day...

Tracye said...

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks! I am no good at painting. If you are, you'd be good at this. I am going to Quantico, VA in June to see hubby graduate from FBI National Academy, and I am going to INSIST we detour to Baltimore at some point during our stay!

Anonymous said...

So you want to go to the Bass Pro in Baltimore? You are so wonderful. I guess I will take you.

Tracye said...

HA!!! YOU WISH!!!

You have plenty of time to go there without me.

Call Duff and make sure my cake is going to be ready when I get there... since you're going to miss Mother's Day, have him do something spectacular for me. :)

3girlsmom said...

I feel a little better. The flu is in the "respiratory" stage where I'm coughing my head off, sore throat, can't hear, etc..... No fever, so that is good! I'm sorry Cullen is sick! Yuck. My whole family has been taking Tamiflu so we can hopefully prevent them from getting the flu. My husband has been SOOO good this week. He has been "mommy" since Tuesday and hasn't complained once! I owe him big time.
Enjoy Tylenol and popsicles while Cullen gets better!

Erin said...

that really looks great! good job

Mzzterry said...

Tracye, GREAT job on the cake!! That must be fun =)