Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Works for Me Wednesdays

This is my first "Works for Me Wednesday" post. I found it at Rocks In My Dryer. Being new, I'm not completely sure what it's all about, but I do know that today is a backwards day... which means you guys help me with a problem I'm having. I think regular WFMW's I try to tell you a cool trick I have that helps me out...

Anyway, my problem:

Since I quit working, Cullen has become the world's clingiest baby. I can't even go to the bathroom alone. I usually take him to his room to play and then sneak out. I'm running for the bathroom, only to glance over my shoulder and see him toddling as fast as he can after me. I shut the door, only to have him jiggling the doorknob, crying outside, and sticking his fingers under the door. It's becoming very problematic.

Last Tuesday I went to Ladies' Bible Study at church, and they had to move him into a different room because his incessant crying was setting off all the other babies! I have all but stopped going to church on Sundays, because it's just a matter of time before they flash my number on the screen, signaling for me to get him the heck out of dodge. The last time I went, we got through praise & worship, only to see our number. We didn't hear a bit of the sermon!

He expects to be held/entertained ALL. DAY. LONG. Mostly by me. Apparently he thinks his father is incapable... I'll leave that one alone!

Help!

3 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Hi there- I'm in a similar sort of boat with my nine month old- I worked while my two older children were young and they would get dumped unceremoniously at daycare and are pretty independent as a result.... so, I've been trying to ignore the baby more. It sounds sort of cruel, but kids need to entertain themselves. So, when mine cries, I let her cry for awhile. Sometimes she gets through the crying and starts playing ALL BY HERSELF. Good luck!

Melody said...

Hey there! I've been trying to comment on some of your posts for the past few days, and it wouldn't let me...but I'm here now!

All I can tell you about the clingy thing, is that boys love their mommies and they need to know that you're there when they need you...that said, sometimes we just have to get stuff done! So, I set up a gate system that kept little Dave "penned up" in a safe place while I was busy. It also helps if you can find some kind of educational video that the kid loves to watch, but won't melt his brain. This turns "alone" time into "fun" time. Signing Time on PBS was Dave's catnip of choice. He would hear that opening song and come running from wherever he was! He also learned sign-language in the meantime and could communicate with us at a very young age! We just recorded several episodes so he could watch even when it wasn't on tv at the moment!

Tracye said...

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I'll try it... we will get through this!