Thursday, March 6, 2008

Breakfast for Dinner

I don't know about anybody else, but some nights, I just don't feel like cooking. Surely I'm not the only one.;)

So tonight, when hubby called saying he was on his way home from work, I told him we were having breakfast for dinner... he was okay with that. It's a good thing, too, otherwise he'd be making himself a bologna sandwich.

I thought I had nine eggs, which would be plenty. I put some biscuits in the oven, peeled and finely diced a potato, and put some butter in a skillet to brown the potato in. When I actually opened the egg carton, I only had six! Not enough for a family of four.

Then inspiration struck!!!

I got out another pan and put a little less than 2 tablespoons of butter in it. Once the butter melted, I added about 1/4 cup of sugar, about a teaspoon of corn starch, and about 1 tablespoon of molasses. Once that got all bubbly, I poured in betwen 3/4 of a cup and one cup of milk, and about 1/4 cup white corn syrup. Last, I poured in some vanilla... probably about a teaspoon. (sorry for all the "abouts" but I didn't measure any of it) While that cooked, I peeled and chopped two Granny Smith apples. I waited until the sauce thickened some, and then put the apples in to cook for about ten minutes. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! I know it's sinfully bad for you, but those apples weren't getting eaten, and Cullen gobbled these up!

So my simple dinner ended up using four pots/pans, and one baking stone, none of which can go in the dishwasher!!! We had scrambled eggs, diced potatoes, biscuits & gravy, and caramel diced apples... a.k.a. "breakfast heaven."

No comments: