Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cinderella Cake

My neighbor's son's teacher's daughter (wow!) is turning four. My neighbor recommended me when the teacher asked if she knew somebody who does nice cakes.

She's having a Cinderella party. I thought maybe a pillow with a glass slipper would be cute. I actually finished before midnight!!! I shocked myself. I could have spent lots more hours on it. I called it quits around 7 pm.

It's entirely edible! Thanks to Wendy at CakeSpace, I finally figured out silver paint! I was sooooo excited! I'd been trying to do it for quite some time. The glass slipper is cake, also, and was not easy to cover in fondant.

It's my sixth "commissioned" cake! It's not exactly what I wanted it to be, but it's okay. It sure was a lot of carving. I had to carve the slipper last night, then carve the pillow and decorate both today.


There's something not quite right about this one, but I really can't put my finger on it. I say that with each cake, though. The finished product never quite looks the way it did in my head!

I liked the pillow before I put the slipper on it, and I liked the slipper before I put it on the pillow, but something about the two coming together wasn't great. You can't see it in the pictures, but there's a big silver "button" under the instep of the slipper. It was so cute, but the slipper hides pretty much the whole thing. Live and learn!

I just found a picture of the slipper from the other side...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cinderella